Join for free
Page 6 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 11:57 PM

Re: Is anyone looking forward to USA Food?

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Are the chicken factories in UK any kinder to the animals?

Going back about 20 years I did some work at Sun Valley (I think in Hereford). There were some horrendous production accidents which made me sick but I think most of the management team were genuinely trying to make the process quick, efficient and as pain free for the chickens as they reasonably could.

The problem is that globally not every factory has the same ethos and the ones who don't care about the chickens probably make the most profit. I would always pay a bit more and get free range but I appreciate that not everyone in the UK can afford those prices. I do echo that we all eat too much fatty meats anyway.

For me this is an area where we need a genuinely free press investigating the practices (not Murdock), RSPCA groups etc and proper regulation to ensure animal welfare.

From what I have seen reading between the lines, the USA are calling for LOWER standards on food than the EU. I'm fully aware that both operate protectionist rackets but the EU for transport a lot closer to us than the USA so on balance I think I would choose UK first, EU second and USA third.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
I wouldn't say I'm an animal lover but some of these super sized USA style chicken factories really put me off. Look at this.

https://youtu.be/pixGkSFBty0

Can we really trust USA with animal welfare?
No - look what they do to themselves!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:37 AM

The point was that we don't need more animal cruelty and rubbish food than we already have. We want things to be better not a bigger pile of manure.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 05:37 AM

Years ago my hubby as part of his job used to visit Menwith Hill American listening base near Harrogate...inside the base is a little shopping mall so he sometimes bought stuff for us to try....have to say it was all pretty unremarkable ...put it this way he never bought the same thing twice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 10:38 AM

No one is forced to buy food from any country. I try to buy British whenever I can and grow some things myself.

In the winter we we seem to import lots of salad and vegetables from Kenya and Egypt , I never buy it .
Likwise the dreadful tasteless tomatoes and soft fruit which come from spain. Who wants soft fruit in the winter anyway.

I have eaten seasonally whenever possible long before it became fashionable, I look forward to the 'first of' of everything as it arrives freshly grown and picked in this country . The exception is home grown frozen produce, I have just eaten the last of the plums I picked from the fruit farm and still have lots of damsons.

There are always choices, if you can't get one item grown locally or from a trusted source for a while eat something else.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 10:50 AM

I buy English Meat, especially Chicken and Pork, Vegetables and Fruit such as Apples, Pears, Plums, all Berries etc. I am very fortunate to have plenty of local Farm Shops that also sell locally baked products too, plus fresh free-range eggs. I appreciate that the cost is more than the normal shop, but while we are able to afford to, will continue to do so, just for the taste and quality alone.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 05:01 PM

it's possible to pick and choose & pay a premium if you have quality suppliers nearby and don't have to do a family shop. But many aren't in that position and have to buy what they can find to fit their budget and feed their family.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:02 AM

For those of you that are fussy about your food, beware USA do not follow the same food labelling standards as EU. In particular they do not always include COOL (Country of origin labell). So you might end up eating chlorine, GM foods, Monsanto pesticides, fracking infected vegetables without quite realising it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
For those of you that are fussy about your food, beware USA do not follow the same food labelling standards as EU. In particular they do not always include COOL (Country of origin labell). So you might end up eating chlorine, GM foods, Monsanto pesticides, fracking infected vegetables without quite realising it.
Unsure if you read through the thread you will see that many of us here are able to work out where our food originates, what it contains and to make choices often choosing to buy British food when possible so it really isn't a problem only to remainers hoping to make a point .
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Here in the UK we use halal and kosher methods of slaughter. We should stop this before we complain about chlorinated chicken, I find it very hypocritical

Page 6 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top