Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Re: What? You’ve Never Had A Computer Or The Internet?

I know someone who has never had a computer and doesn't even have a telephone of any kind. I've tried to say he at least ought to have a phone but he still hasn't got one. He goes to see people if he wants to talk to them.

I have to say he seems to be very happy with his way of life.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 05:51 PM

I only succumbed to a smart phone in 2016. Although I had a work smart phone since 2013, I didn't really use all functionalities except in emergencies. What it was really useful for was map reading and such.

I found removing facebook was a good move. It sucked my battery dry and you end up looking at it all the time. But not having a smartphone would be near impossible now. I have a parking app on it that's really easy to use so no need for coin meters. Skype was also really useful when travelling to places where calls cost a fortune.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 05:59 PM

I think it's becoming more difficult to navigate the world without the internet. If you were shopping for a jumper or dress most people would search online until they found something and bought it online. All this a lot easier than venturing out into the ever decreasing bricks & mortar stores and not finding what they want.

I pay for my utilities online, get my news, participate in forums and browse the internet all the time now and the tech companies have made this easier as time has gone on.

Banks are closing everywhere and it's no surprise considering what I can do with my telephone banking (it uses the internet) compared with walking miles to my nearest branch.

I still go to John Lewis and Harvey Nichols and enjoy the experience but if I buy something it's more likely to be online.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I only succumbed to a smart phone in 2016. Although I had a work smart phone since 2013, I didn't really use all functionalities except in emergencies. What it was really useful for was map reading and such.

I found removing facebook was a good move. It sucked my battery dry and you end up looking at it all the time. But not having a smartphone would be near impossible now. I have a parking app on it that's really easy to use so no need for coin meters. Skype was also really useful when travelling to places where calls cost a fortune.
I'd find it nearly impossible to manage without a smartphone these days. In hospital for the past 15 days I used it all the time - podcasts, books, music, messaging, news, browsing and phoning people. If I had been allowed out much I would have used the camera too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 06:21 PM

I was never remotely interested in computers etc., until they arrived on the scene at work. Then I was catapulted into a steep learning curve by the words "Learn it - or find another job"! The NHS are like that.

Once I realised what useful tools computers are I invested in one for home use. I do not - and never will - use it for online banking as I do not believe it is secure enough - but - I do buy books/DVDs/Craft stuff from Amazon and other trusted suppliers.

I would never buy clothes/shoes online as I like to try things on - feel fabrics and see how they move, and I would not buy food online either as I do not like supermarket stuff.

Fora are enjoyable and I do spend time in them each day - but my main usage is for graphics and word processing.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

22-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have two friends who don't have computers, they do have phones, but only use them as phones. Neither are interested in going on the net, but one does ask me to look things up for her sometimes.

My Dad who died before the internet really took off for the public, would have loved it, he'd have got everything, smart phone, home pc, i pad etc. He loved gadgets & technology. It was sad he died before it all kicked off. My Mother who outlived him by over 20 years, wasn't interested in computers.
That's like my Dad who died in 1995. He had a really sophisticated portable word processor (remember those?) and he would have loved all the technology of today.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Our friends and neighbours don't have a computer or access to the internet [only through me] and are finding many restrictions in life. We go on holiday together and I book the hotels and parking if we go cruising. They have to visit the bank to obtain a cheque in order to pay for the holiday because they don't like using a card. He keeps all his photos on a memory card in his camera and just views them on the telly. I try to explain how versatile it is to store them on a computer and if anything happens to his camera he will lose all of his photos....

I started using a computer back in the eighties to store my running times and routes instead of a leger. I went self employed in 2000 and used my knowledge of spreadsheets and databases to invoice clients and do my own accounting including my VAT and tax returns. Online banking was essential and I use it to this very day, never had a problem. I could not survive without a computer today and have got a desktop a laptop and a netbook just in case one fails.

I bought a smartphone to replace my clamshell but I can not get on with a touch screen and trying to access the forum was a nightmare, the screen was too small to read and it was too fiddly, so I've stuck it in a box in the loft and returned to using my clamshell....I don't really want the internet on the move anyway, I don't listen to music outside the house, and the car comes complete with satnav, although I prefer a map.....Trains, planes and ships, I'd sooner look out of the window and savour the moment and the action around me than be transfixed to a miniature screen...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I was never remotely interested in computers etc., until they arrived on the scene at work. Then I was catapulted into a steep learning curve by the words "Learn it - or find another job"! The NHS are like that.

Once I realised what useful tools computers are I invested in one for home use. I do not - and never will - use it for online banking as I do not believe it is secure enough - but - I do buy books/DVDs/Craft stuff from Amazon and other trusted suppliers.

I would never buy clothes/shoes online as I like to try things on - feel fabrics and see how they move, and I would not buy food online either as I do not like supermarket stuff.

Fora are enjoyable and I do spend time in them each day - but my main usage is for graphics and word processing.
I await spontaneous Crowd Funding, just awaiting a cause.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 03:35 AM

I don't know what I'd do without UTube.There are no music shops around here.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 07:38 AM

I love utube too...how did we manage before

I have pals who think it's comical that I post here and I have a Facebook account ...they think being online is for sad folks...I think it's a generational thing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top