Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Good Morning Possums.

Gummy without cheating, I think it is a convent.
well this greek travel program was using 'nunnery' ?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well this greek travel program was using 'nunnery' ?
I am sure Jem will know.
Spitty will spin us in circles.

It's all Greek to me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
OK ya can go home now! bye

now I have a question and possibly Jem will be able to answer it - i decided not to google this but put it to my fellow scribblers.

I have always been puzzled by this when a group of nuns live together in seclusion are they living in a nunnery which I heard today on TV about Greece or is it a convent OR can we use both??
I have a niece who is a nun Gummy, one night she was out with Phyllis and me in my local, she loved a drop of sherry, “A winter’s Tale” was her tipple. We were talking about the “New” nuns and all the freedoms they enjoy today compared to the nuns when I went to school, sour faced cows most of them. I was saying that I was all for that, better than being locked up in the nunnery all the time. She didn’t like the word nunnery “We don’t use that anymore, sounds too much like a factory, a cannery turns out beans and peas, a granary turns out oats, wheat and barley, a foundry makes metal products, no we prefer the name convent” Well that told me.
I was going to ask her does a nunnery turn out virgins, but decided to hold me tongue.

We haven’t seen her in years but she always sends a Christmas card. She’s in New York now, still a nun and she teaches maths to the under 14 children.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 07:51 PM

There were three nuns, they all told the priest that they were going to do one sin each.
So the priest says ok, do your sins, come back, and I’ll bless you.
So, they went to do their sins and came back to get blessed.
The priest asked the first one who was laughing what her sin was.
She said, "I had sex with a guy."
The priest said ok, blessed her and said go drink some holy water.
So she did! The next one was laughing harder, and the priest asked her what her sin was.
She said, "I got in a fight with another nun."
So he says ok, blessed her and told her to go drink some holy water.
So she did.
The priest asked the last one who was laughing even harder what she did.
And as she was laughing she said, "I peed in the holy water!"
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Nice one.

Here's three of my kind of Nuns, I'd tell them to throw out that p..s and get a real pint, one that would match the habit.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

23-02-2019, 10:06 PM

A very popular Nun who became a Saint was St. Therese of the Roses. There was a song out about her back in 1956, all the kids used to be football mad and most of them supported Shamrock Rovers, they would sing “Saint therese plays for Rovers” to the air of the song, much to the disgust of the local clergy.
The song is sung by Welsh singer and actor, Malcolm Vaughan, a lovely voice.
Here’s an interesting tit bit from Wikipedia, I never heard of it before now, I knew there was some controversy about the song, but then I was only 11 when it came out.

“In October 1956 he was scheduled to appear on BBC TV's Off The Record to promote the release of "St. Therese of the Roses". However, the appearance was cancelled after a BBC committee decided that the song was unsuitable for broadcast because "the lyric is contrary both to Roman Catholic doctrine and to Protestant sentiment."[1] The resulting controversy coupled with airplay on Radio Luxembourg ensured the record's success. It climbed to No. 3 and stayed in the charts for five months and ultimately sold half a million copies”

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 10:55 PM

yep that's de rubbish me ma and da used to like to listen to on de radio! - used to give me goosepipples!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 11:15 PM

Scribbles was impressive today.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Ok...[yes,I know ozzie 'erbert'll be straight on my back]...but,'nunnery' is a slang term. It refers to a gathering of women. Shakespeare [who even dimmo Gummy will have heard of] used the term in his play 'Hamlet',when he [Hamlet] was yattering about 'nunneries' which,in his profane ravings,actually meant 'brothel'. Whereas 'convent',is a word that derives from Latin and means 'a gathering'. Although today it's used exclusively to refer to a place of nun's,originally,it also referred to what today is called a 'monastery'.

Now,before gummy blows his hat off and the corks all whizz in different directions....when I was butter lad,I was actually allowed to live in a convent,namely New Hall Convent,in Chelmsford,for two reasons. One,was to prevent my father breaking any more of my bones,which he frequently did to get money from my mother's family...and the other was because my mum was the Matron. So I,moi,yer akshal Ugly-Pug,was the ONLY male allowed on the New Hall estate. I'd go swimming with the girls who were resident pupils there,in the convent's own small pool...and I was among princesses,duchesses,REALLY high-falutin' high-profile eminences who later went on to take positions in the upper echelons of society. But,at the age we were,we just splashed each other,'ducked' each other,played silly splashing games-the thought of ''Juno who I am!'' just wasn't important...whereas,''Can you do a length underwater'',was.
Ok,this may seem improbable to you...but I give my oath,it's totally true.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Scribbles was impressive today.
ah to be sure to be sure - he likes the long riffs!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top