Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 12:40 PM

Re: NHS Sorted!

I think I read somewhere that it's expected that obesity will bankrupt the NHS... by about 2030.

Whilst smoking related illnesses have been a burden, smokers do pay a heavy duty for the their pleasure/sin ... and until their health fails don't actually place a great strain on the service.
Unlike the obese ... many of who develop obesity related illnesses far younger and in some cases are even unable to work.

After smokers it really was only a matter of time until the next group got targeted.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
OK refined sugar so still no bread etc you have to use refined sugar in many things or the recipes won't work, chemically it just won't rise.
I ain't much of a cook but I'm sure you can make bread without adding refined sugar. Yeast is the incredient that causes it to rise ain't it?

no sugar bread recipe
https://www.bing.com/search?q=no+sug...7bdd&FORM=QBRE

They have been making bread for eons, well before the arrival of refined sugars.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I think I read somewhere that it's expected that obesity will bankrupt the NHS... by about 2030.

Whilst smoking related illnesses have been a burden, smokers do pay a heavy duty for the their pleasure/sin ... and until their health fails don't actually place a great strain on the service.
Unlike the obese ... many of who develop obesity related illnesses far younger and in some cases are even unable to work.

After smokers it really was only a matter of time until the next group got targeted.
Nicely put. Now lets attack the sugar, fat and animal product lovers .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I ain't much of a cook but I'm sure you can make bread without adding refined sugar. Yeast is the incredient that causes it to rise ain't it?

no sugar bread recipe
https://www.bing.com/search?q=no+sug...7bdd&FORM=QBRE

They have been making bread for eons, well before the arrival of refined sugars.
Yeast needs food it gets it from the sugar, I have made sugar free bread before it doesn't rise well and tastes rather salty.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 05:22 PM

In the end the only way to do it is to educate people to make better lifestyle choices.
This includes diet and exercise, banning things is problematic.

A lot of progress has been made with smoking but alcohol consumption leads to huge numbers of hospital admissions.

Binge drinking is one thing but a lot of people drink at home consuming large amounts of alcohol without realising. It's easy to get through a bottle or two of wine but if you do that on a regular or semi regular basis it's a recipe for long term damage such as irreversible liver damage.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 05:35 PM

Size of wine glasses these days always amazes me. when I used to occasionally have a glass the glasses were quite small now you get 2 glasses from a bottle of wine !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
In the end the only way to do it is to educate people to make better lifestyle choices.
This includes diet and exercise, banning things is problematic.
You are not going to get very far with this. If the above was the answer there wouldn't have been any need to raise the cost of tobacco or to ban it's use in various places.

As for me I'm off for a run and I might call in the shop on the way home to buy some baked beans.

*breaks wind*
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Yeah it's a long term solution, the NHS may not survive that long, most will be paying for private health care of some sort and there will be basic care for the most needy.

Our own foolishness will have been the demise of the NHS, and not knowing a good thing when we had it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

06-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Baked beans full of sugar ! one thing diabetics are told to keep well away from.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Baked beans full of sugar ! one thing diabetics are told to keep well away from.
I pour the liquid away .

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top