Join for free
Page 25 of 38 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 > Last »
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Re: Breast feeding in public

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well, you would be wrong in my case anyway. If she was doing it discreetly and modestly (words that are still valid in my vocabulary despite being derided in this thread) I would not care a jot. I just don't want it 'in my face' to use a common phrase.

Nowhere have I said that it should not be done - what I said was not 'in full public view'.
Nowhere have I described it as 'dirty' or 'sordid'.
Nowhere have I said or even suggested it was not best for the health and welfare of the baby.

Yes, I said I thought it was 'unnecessary' in public - I still do, and I am entitled to my opinion - please notice I said 'opinion' not 'hang-up'!
A hang-up is an opinion, as is a thought or action.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Men are always all for breastfeeding because its natural. However, it doesn't come naturally to every mum and they shouldn't have to feel bad because of it. There's no brownie points to be scored here.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Men are always all for breastfeeding because its natural. However, it doesn't come naturally to every mum and they shouldn't have to feel bad because of it. There's no brownie points to be scored here.
What on earth have brownie points do with with anything
No some women can't breastfeed, my sister couldn't for medical reasons and no doubt some feel bad about it but that doesn't say those who can should be treated like some kind of tart for daring to feed a baby in public .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What on earth have brownie points do with with anything
No some women can't breastfeed, my sister couldn't for medical reasons and no doubt some feel bad about it but that doesn't say those who can should be treated like some kind of tart for daring to feed a baby in public .
Meg you are using words no one here has even thought I am sure, no one has accused anyone of being a tart for feeding in public. The lack of modesty some show in no way makes them a tart.

And it is about brownie points very often bottle feeding mums are very much treated as failing these days. I do remember Tasha bottle feeding with expressed milk being called all sorts of things by the nurse at our surgery they didn't even ask if it was formula or not just assumed she was young so not being a good mum.

It is interesting me the people arguing for open feeding with no discretion are either very discrete feeders themselves or quick to call others names. No one on the modesty side has called anyone names or suggested they are tarts or anything.

It's like the non modest feeding fans have no real argument so have to resort to calling people out and accusing them of saying/thinking thins they don't.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
I am not suggesting that any maturing girl of that age is interested in a boy her own age.
When I visited Schools even in my 50's , it was always the Convent School girls who shouted from the upper windows and Wolf-Whistled .
Beside that I am talking adult Ex-Convent School females.
All off topic except they breast feed at 13 now.
No idea about anyone in the 50s I am talking more recently with in my living memory.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:11 AM

However strongly someone feels about breast feeding being the good and best thing to do which I very much agree it is, surely the fact that someone is breast feeding is the important thing not whether they are doing it very openly.
The simple truth is that many do not feel comfortable exposing themselves too much in public so they don't. What's the problem with that?
The main thing is that they have succeeded in feeding the baby themselves.
Some of us never managed it for a variety of reasons but would have wished to.
I fully intend to support the girls in my family in their wish to feed their babies and to help them do so discreetly if we are out and about.
Society is not perfect, it's a long way from that and you act accordingly, in a room with other new Mums and their babies or at home it's fine to not cover up but in the public eye yes it's a good idea.

And it's nothing to do with being ashamed or prudish or with breast feeding not being acceptable.
You don't have to look far to see what strange things are going on in other people's minds.
Do I want people like that leering at my family, hardly surprisingly no I dont.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Exactly Anita exactly what we have all been trying to say.
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
So the people using your maths, from 200,000 BC up to 1860 AD and 1960 AD to 2015 AD are all wrong. But the people between 1875 AD and 1960 AD are all correct, that made me laugh.
Or for approx 200,000 years mankind has been wrong and in your approx 100 years mankind has been correct. Brilliant thinking and conclusion
Where the hell did you come up with that train wreck of numbers........you did not either read my post, or cannot understand English. Get real or get back under your rock.

Or better still have a look at the 2 posts again.

Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I don't think most of those who breastfeed 'make too much' of breastfeeding and that the majority do just get on with it.
They problem is the outdated views of a few backward thinking people ...

My Reply

The backward thinking people with more thoughtful views IMHO get it right.
It is the people of today who do not think,want to be in yr face, will not cover up and be discreet and have no respect for their body and others.
Just because some think the ways of 2015 are correct, does not make them right.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:46 AM

I just found breastfeeding very close and personal for me and my babies. I didn't want the world to see what I was doing. It was none of their business. I'd never dream of calling anyone a tart who had a different opinion that me.
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
However strongly someone feels about breast feeding being the good and best thing to do which I very much agree it is, surely the fact that someone is breast feeding is the important thing not whether they are doing it very openly.
The simple truth is that many do not feel comfortable exposing themselves too much in public so they don't. What's the problem with that?
The main thing is that they have succeeded in feeding the baby themselves.
Some of us never managed it for a variety of reasons but would have wished to.
I fully intend to support the girls in my family in their wish to feed their babies and to help them do so discreetly if we are out and about.
Society is not perfect, it's a long way from that and you act accordingly, in a room with other new Mums and their babies or at home it's fine to not cover up but in the public eye yes it's a good idea.

And it's nothing to do with being ashamed or prudish or with breast feeding not being acceptable.
You don't have to look far to see what strange things are going on in other people's minds.
Do I want people like that leering at my family, hardly surprisingly no I dont.
Anita......very well put.

One question to all....would your grandmother have sat out in the middle of the shopping arcade, on a train or bus without being covered up, no. So why would somebody think it is right today. Just think about it in future.

And that is the end of my posting on this waste of time subject.

Page 25 of 38 « First < 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top