Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 11:31 PM

Re: Where have all the £2 coins gone?

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
My friends said they had a jar for saving £2 coins. Don't know how many they have...could be all the missing ones.

I started but found myself raiding the coins to spend. Similarly, started saving 50p coins. Again, needed some when cash ran low.

I do save all my coppers though, and they get tipped into the machines that churns out a money voucher - after taking their cut - because I can't stand the little blighters. I wait till the jar gets very heavy (only a small plastic one).
I painstaking count out my pennies/twopennies, put them in bank bags & take them to the bank, where I get £1 coins for them. That is the ones I don't put in the charity boxes on the counters of the shops I shop in.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I painstaking count out my pennies/twopennies, put them in bank bags & take them to the bank, where I get £1 coins for them. That is the ones I don't put in the charity boxes on the counters of the shops I shop in.
Spose I could do that! I think the machine takes about 8.5p in the pound. I just think it's more convenient doing it that way. I love the clattering sound of the coins going through the counter.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 11:29 AM

My friends said they had a jar for saving £2 coins. Don't know how many they have...could be all the missing ones.

I started but found myself raiding the coins to spend. Similarly, started saving 50p coins. Again, needed some when cash ran low.

I do save all my coppers though, and they get tipped into the machines that churns out a money voucher - after taking their cut - because I can't stand the little blighters. I wait till the jar gets very heavy (only a small plastic one).
I don't know what they charge now for converting your coins, but when the coin machines first appeared in supermarkets you paid 7 1/2% commission for the privilege.
Throwing money away in my opinion.
Get some coin bags from your bank, count it and bag it yourself and pay the full amount into your account.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Grace saves them too looks like they are in piggy banks around the country.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 11:41 AM

Yep, my daughter and I save them, too ...

They pay for taxis to and from airports. We change them over at the bank first, mind. : - )
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Why does Sod's Law always come into play when you are short of cash and for some reason don't want to go to the ATM/bank? You hand over your last tenner for a £1.80 purchase and the assistant says, Oh, sorry, I haven't got any fivers, so you get a 20p and four £2 coins, which you can't spend! So, it's a trip to the cash machine after all
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Spose I could do that! I think the machine takes about 8.5p in the pound. I just think it's more convenient doing it that way. I love the clattering sound of the coins going through the counter.
I have always counted them & taken them to the bank, I think those machines are a big rip off. I'd rather donate them to charity.
The only drawback to counting copper is the smell it leaves on your hands.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 12:37 PM

I have had a couple in my pocket recently. But true I don't see an awful lot of them. Perhaps due to all the £2 savers which of those few here are a small proportion of the actual number.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Yes, think I'll bag them up in future. Sometimes if the float for the allotment trading shed is short I'll do a small swap. Then at times we have too much and we get fed up having to count it all up.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

14-01-2016, 08:01 PM

Yes, think I'll bag them up in future. Sometimes if the float for the allotment trading shed is short I'll do a small swap. Then at times we have too much and we get fed up having to count it all up.
That reminds me I have a load of copper to count, bag & take to the bank.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top