Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 10:14 PM

The troubled history of clinical drug trials

Would you ever consider volunteering for clinical drug trials in view of what has happened to some along the way.?

I was wondering exactly what had happened to the "Elephant Man" drug trials volunteers whose heads swelled up like balloons so I went browsing online...
The worst-affected of the men lost fingers and toes, and all the men were subsequently told they would be likely to develop cancers or auto immune diseases as a result of exposure to the drug.

Some of the men later described how the drug had made them feel like their brains were on fire and that their eyeballs would pop out

More here in this link if you would like to read further.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6814696.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Re: The troubled history of clinical drug trials

Aysa I don't think I would be brave enough to take part in a trial unless I was terminally ill particularly after the recent death in France .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 11:40 PM

Meg Im like you ,I often wonder exactly why these men and women volunteer in the first place,Id be so frightened about the unknown side effects that could happen especially the long term ones that can get overlooked so easily.
I know they are doing a good service though as its helping to develop new treatments for serious illnesses,but they must be brave putting themselves in that position .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Aysa I don't think I would be brave enough to take part in a trial unless I was terminally ill particularly after the recent death in France .

Same here, Meg.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 02:51 AM

I watched a TV programme where they did clinical trials for the effects of ecstasy on Parkinson sufferers, the outcome was amazing.

One guy couldn't hold a cup still so his drinks had to be in a lidded beaker. It also took him 15 minutes to put a jacket on.

After taking an ecstasy tablet, absolutely no problems, jacket on in seconds and drank from a normal cup. Each tablet gave him up to 8 hours of relative normality.

Without these brave souls medicinal breakthroughs would be nonexistent.

I wanted to do trials for LSD but couldn't find any. I wanted to see if my crazy outlook on life could be subdued.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 08:49 AM

I took part in a stage 3 trial recently which got rid of a virus i had been carrying around all my adult life.
had i waited for the drug to be available generally,i would probably still be waiting with my liver constantly under attack due to the horrendously high prices charged by certain drug companies.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 09:17 AM

Glad you brought this subject up Aysa.
I was on the bus going into town the other week and there in front
of me was an advert for clinic trial volunteers. It didn't state what
it was for but it was for people between the ages of 50 and 75.
It was 12 days and nights and they were paying £2,100 for it.
All food etc included in the trials.
So I think that's one of the reasons people volunteer for these things.
The money is very good. Saying that I am useless when it comes
to tablets etc so wouldn't volunteer for something like that although
the money aspect looked very tempting. So I went to the bingo instead
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cinnamon girl ->
I took part in a stage 3 trial recently which got rid of a virus i had been carrying around all my adult life.
had i waited for the drug to be available generally,i would probably still be waiting with my liver constantly under attack due to the horrendously high prices charged by certain drug companies.
Glad to hear that it helped you a great deal Cinnamon girl,were you worried about taking part in the trial,or did your desire to want the virus gone overide that?
Its shocking the prices some drugs are being priced at..anyway pleased that it all worked out for you
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Glad to hear that it helped you a great deal Cinnamon girl,were you worried about taking part in the trial,or did your desire to want the virus gone overide that?
Its shocking the prices some drugs are being priced at..anyway pleased that it all worked out for you
Hi Aysa
the virus had attacked my liver to the point of cirrhosis so quite an easy choice to make.also by stage 3 of trials,the chance of anything going wrong are extremely unlikely.
now i am free of the virus my liver should remain stable and maybe even regenerate a little.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 11:30 AM

You would think what with the money offered and all those people screaming about animal testing that the queue would be round the block but it isnt.

Thats because despite everything people realise the risks involved and would rather someone else took that risk rather than put themself in the firing line. (myself included)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top