Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:51 AM

Re: Huge Portions

[QUOTE=Pesta;869987]
Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

.......Everyone in the place had a scale model of the Matterhorn to eat but nobody batted an eyelid!

That had me in stitches

Daft isn't it? Not long ago you had barely anything on your plate just full of artistic swirls and nothing else and now the opposite with huge portions.

I was going to say ask for a doggie bag (whether you've got one or not), but Aysa beat me too it.
You'd probably get a dog in a bag in some places Pesta!

We have got into the same as someone else has said - order one and share it.

Locally we get a "sandwich" that is just about right for two even though you still get half a plate full of salad, (very often mostly Rocket and tomato and bit of cucumber!), plus the inevitable basket of chips so we don't feel quite so guilty about leaving anything because we still can't eat it all, especially at lunchtimes.

Glad to see though it isn't just me!

Can'y help thinking it's hardly surprising that there's an obesity crisis though. stevmk2
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 10:40 AM

some places will let you order the childs portion.
ok if you don't mind fish fingers or chicken nuggets !!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Good idea Bruce...I sometimes order a single plate of chips if im out with my sons and we share them as the portion size is just ridiculously large for one person..
While on holiday once it was "up north" everywhere had soup and a sandwich on sale ,why????
Cant one just have soup OR a sandwich? Why Both? In my view soup AND a sandwich is just being a pig and not necessary
Never seen the point of soup; it is neither a drink nor a meal so generally speaking I avoid it (except Chinese soup which is definitely a meal)
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Never seen the point of soup; it is neither a drink nor a meal so generally speaking I avoid it (except Chinese soup which is definitely a meal)
Gotta disagree with you there Bruce.

I went to work in Holland in December 1975 and survived for 6 weeks on Dutch soup as it was all I could afford 'til I got my first pay cheque.

Thick Pea soup with large lumps of bacon or tomato with meatballs kept me going plus Frinkadel Specials from snack wagons near the oil rig yards where I was working most of the time. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

29-03-2016, 01:37 PM

We went out for a meal last night to a place we can walk to so I can have a glass or two of wine.

At this place we often stop by on the way back from a long walk and share a sandwich (salad & chips included!) but they do have a small evening menu that we have tried before.

This time my wife had Liver Casserole which,when it arrived was a fairly large dish with mashed potatoes.

I had Chili con Carne.

Just about to start and along comes the other waiter with a large dish of vegetables to go with my wife's Liver Casserole and a bowl of tortilla chips with a dip for me.

Why they don't mention this on the menu I do not know because the vegetables alone could have fed four people and I had far too many tortilla chips too.

This is not what happened last time - about a month ago - although we were asked about extras which we just didn't want but now it looks as if they are added whether you want them or not so once again, a place where we liked the menu is now actually putting us off a little with these large potions when there really was no need as far a I could see.

How can smaller business compete if this is happening everywhere?

Are we going to end up where a cheese sandwich has a quarter pound of chedder, 6 ounces of relish and inch-thick granary bread everywhere you go to eat in the future?

Madness! stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Big portions cannot disguise poor food-just as a single cube of tofu cannot be excused for being called `fine dining`
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
We went out for a meal last night to a place we can walk to so I can have a glass or two of wine.

At this place we often stop by on the way back from a long walk and share a sandwich (salad & chips included!) but they do have a small evening menu that we have tried before.

This time my wife had Liver Casserole which,when it arrived was a fairly large dish with mashed potatoes.

I had Chili con Carne.

Just about to start and along comes the other waiter with a large dish of vegetables to go with my wife's Liver Casserole and a bowl of tortilla chips with a dip for me.

Why they don't mention this on the menu I do not know because the vegetables alone could have fed four people and I had far too many tortilla chips too.

This is not what happened last time - about a month ago - although we were asked about extras which we just didn't want but now it looks as if they are added whether you want them or not so once again, a place where we liked the menu is now actually putting us off a little with these large potions when there really was no need as far a I could see.

How can smaller business compete if this is happening everywhere?

Are we going to end up where a cheese sandwich has a quarter pound of chedder, 6 ounces of relish and inch-thick granary bread everywhere you go to eat in the future?

Madness! stevmk2

Sounds good to me !!!
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Is it against some law to talk to the waiter before ending up with far more than can be managed? We have no problem getting the right sized meals.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 04:46 PM

I have got to the stage of being sick of how much food is put on the plate when you eat out.

What I have started doing is sitting with a drink and looking at the food as it comes out to tables to see what you get and sometimes I choose something I would not have gone for.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

29-03-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Questor ->
Is it against some law to talk to the waiter before ending up with far more than can be managed? We have no problem getting the right sized meals.
When you are presented with a menu telling you what the dish is you'd normally believe that that is what you get wouldn't you?

We spoke to the waiter when we ordered.

15 minutes or so later, the waiter came over with the dish for my wife and the dish for me.

We thought that's fine, good choice.

He then returns with two more lots of food we didn't know came with it which wasn't mentioned on the menu and he never mentioned either.

Neither of us could eat that quantity of food so in fact it was a waste and could easily be avoided if they'd just explained exactly what you got!

Perhaps you've not experiencing this where you live but we are finding this everywhere now when we really didn't expect it so from now-on, we will give ALL waiters the third degree. stevmk2

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top