Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:03 PM

Documentaries

I'd rather watch a good documentary than a soap or even a film. I've seen some fab documentaries since joining Netflix. Anyone else like documentaries? If so, any particular ones? Louis Theroux is a favourite of mines.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:29 PM

Re: Documentaries

I like nature and travel documentaries in particular, but others as well. But when it comes to some documentaries (eg on celebs or some historical stuff) which tend toward sensationalism I think they should carry a health warning stating that viewers should be aware that just because they are called documentaries doesn't mean that they are factually correct…A lot are designed to put across a particular opinion rather than a more balanced view.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:42 PM

I love "real life" documentaries. I like to see how other people all over the world are living their lives. Some docus can be harrowing, but I'm a realist. I think that's why i can't watch soaps these days. Yes, I know they portray real life situations, but they're not the real people in that situation. I love health documentaries. Especially mental health in which i have a huge interest. Nature and travel too Orang . I also watched a documentary recently about the Golden Gate Bridge in which they showed people who threw themselves off it to commit suicide. Sounds grim and it was, but it was so interesting as it told you their stories beforehand, in the words of their family. I'm a people person and I just enjoy hearing it from the real person.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Yes I love them two Myra, there's always something in them you never knew before. I'm a bit cautious of the history documentaries though, we get the official version of history and that is what the powers that be at the time put out, not always the true version in my opinion.
There used to be a documentary on our national station every week called 'Hands', it featured all the old trades, a different one every week, Coopers, Cobblers, Saddlers etc. all working by hand, i
I was a great fan of the program.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

28-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Jem, you're probably right to be cautious about the historical ones! My partner's daughter has a degree in Scottish History, and has watched documentaries and laughed out loud at the discrepancies. She'd argue to the bitter end about what was right and wrong! Okay - she wasn't there, but she takes it all very seriously and it's so interesting to listen to her version of what she studied.

Another docu I watched recently was about twins who were separated at birth. Identical twins who managed to meet up. It was absolutely fascinating. One in USA and one in Norway. It was so touching how alike they were. I love all that! Keeps me occupied in the early hours.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:08 PM

I alway's watched Documentaries, but not as much now as i hardly watch the telly. I preferred programmes that were real everyday life and happening here and now.
Myra you sound like me, i love watching police and murder mystery type docus, also people that start new live's moving away, and i used to like watching the old programmes Arthur C Clarke's mysterious world..
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:49 PM

(Is it just me who hates the wordlet 'docu' instead of documentary?)
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
(Is it just me who hates the wordlet 'docu' instead of documentary?)
No your not on your own, i hate it as well although i did mention that word in my thread
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

28-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
No your not on your own, i hate it as well although i did mention that word in my thread
Oh good! I thought it might just be another of my many foibles...
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:22 PM

National geo and discovery are favorites in our house..
We also have the history channel..

Having said that the secrets of our streets on BBC2 is very good , this evening was Camberwell grove.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top