Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 08:21 AM

Gluten or allergen free

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-allergen.html

This latest news makes me mad, people without allergies seem to not care what they give allergy sufferers. People can die if they eat things they are allergic to, if they eat what they are intolerant of it can cause cancer. So why don't we have stricter laws about labelling and the like ?
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Re: Gluten or allergen free

This is just a recall of some of the 'own brands' products which are probably made by the same factory.
In this case the supermarkets didn't know about the gluten in those products.
It may well be a one off of the product being made with the wrong flour.

Labelling isn't an issue as these are products which should be gluten free. Obviously something went wrong in the manufacturing process.

The DM is doing its usual good job of getting people in a panic, it's like the apocalypse every day if you read their stories.
They always have something to rant about.

The products in question will be removed and the next batch will be ok.

It would be more serious if a product got contaminated with peanuts. That causes very severe reactions. Thankfully that's not the case.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 08:54 AM

Sorry Anita I can't agree and peanuts are bad but so are many other things people are allergic to, oddly peanuts I can eat but so many other things can kill me. This problem has been known a while, I rang sainsburys and waitrose before easter to alert them to the problem, was told I was wrong but now seems I wasn't they are letting gluten into gluten free products.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Julie - I do agree with you about labelling. One of my friends has Coeliac disorder and I have been amazed at the number of foods that contain gluten. Stuff that, unless you are 'in the know' you would not even suspect. One that springs to mind is ground white pepper. This is, apparently, mixed with flour to keep it free running. That would never have crossed my mind. Now when she comes over for a meal I am extra careful - not just about the food I give her but also of the preparation.

That is just one instance - there are many. many allergies out there - nuts (as Anita said), dairy products etc., anyone who has had to deal with anaphalaxis will know how dangerous they can be. Clearer labelling would be a definite advantage.

The article in the Mail suggests a carelessness issue rather than a labelling one - but equally dangerous.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 09:03 AM

It sounds like they are taking precautions because some items may contain gluten.
The cause could be something like machinery wasn't properly cleaned between batches .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It sounds like they are taking precautions because some items may contain gluten.
The cause could be something like machinery wasn't properly cleaned between batches .
For me that's even worse I had a dramatic collapse a couple of years ago due to someone in sainsburys touching strawberries then touching a loaf of bread. The carelessness of people is a constant danger to life for allergy sufferers.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top