Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 07:57 AM

News - School Trip to Barbados

Have you heard the news this morning, one Secondary School are taking the School kids to Barbados for a trip, costing the Parents £1,600.00 each.

How many Parents could afford this?

When I was at School, our trips were Museums, Hastings or France.

A lot of parents can't afford a Family Holiday for that price, let alone just for one child.

What do you think?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Re: News - School Trip to Barbados

It's not on for schools to saddle parents with that sort of expense. It's alright saying that the children don't have to go on it but it would be uncomfortable for a child to be left out if most of the class went. I don't agree with this at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:01 AM

Last school trip our local school did was skiing I said at the time when Grace is old enough the answer will be no, we can't afford holidays ourselves I am not sending her to Switzerland for £600 odd. So Barbados would be as likely as a trip to the moon for her.
Furthest we went with the school was Brighton and even then I can remember my Nan looking down back of the sofas to find the last few pennies.

I am not convinced schools need to do these trips when they cannot take the kids for a walk along the canal for nature studies because of H&S rules and lack of helpers. If they can't do that how can they do Skiing safely ?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:06 AM

The small village school my children went to,never went further than Scarborough when they were growing up ,.now they do class exchanges to Japan.!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
It's not on for schools to saddle parents with that sort of expense. It's alright saying that the children don't have to go on it but it would be uncomfortable for a child to be left out if most of the class went. I don't agree with this at all.
Alan at that price I would think the majority of children won't be going.
Do the teachers who go too get the cost of the holiday subsidised I wonder.

Our school trips were confined to things like cotton mills or very adventurous the local zoo.
I never went anyway my stepmother wouldn't pay so I stayed behind and tidied cupboards in the form room which I found quite enjoyed
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:09 AM

I too think it puts un-necessary pressure on parents. For that money they could take the entire family away somewhere, even if it was a caravan in the UK, and all could benefit. Don't agree with this and feel sorry for families who get this thrust upon them.

I couldn't go with the school to Switzerland when I was young, but never held it against my parents, having four children to care for. But we have a culture nowadays wherein the kids feel hard done by if denied anything.

If you ask me, I think this practice should be stopped.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:10 AM

It's one up man ship with the schools I think and teachers liking a free holiday. If they had to pay same as the parents they may just chose less expensive trips.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's one up man ship with the schools I think and teachers liking a free holiday. If they had to pay same as the parents they may just chose less expensive trips.
Julie do the teacher who go get a reduction in the cost ?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:13 AM

There are lots of lovely places in England that they can take the Children to. What will they learn from Barbados? How to sunbathe? At least in this Country they can learn something interesting.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
There are lots of lovely places in England that they can take the Children to. What will they learn from Barbados? How to sunbathe? At least in this Country they can learn something interesting.
Or how to get sunburnt? I suffered terribly at the end of my Caribbean cruise, but that was my own fault, as I didn't make allowances for the wind while on the beach on a stopover (the tiny island of Mayreau).

How can teachers ensure all their charges cover up? Can you imagine a stroppy child answering back 'I ain't covering up, no-one can make me! You're not my Mum/Dad.'

Eeeeee, a recipe for disaster, say I.

(Killjoy, aren't I? )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top