Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 12:12 AM

Flying ants

We had some overnight rain, honestly we did, it´s so long since we saw rain we´d forgotten what it was. However the rain brought out flying ants, clouds and clouds of them, the swimming pool was black with them, the white walls were black with them, they were everywhere. Now they´ve gone, well apart from the odd one or two, all the wings dropped off them and away they go to burrow somewhere else.

Fortunately these flying ants were not as big as the ones we got in Kenya, they were awful, but the locals liked them, they would spread out white cloth which attracted them then cook them with their rice or ugali, protein they said. No I didn´t try eating them, I could never bring myself to try that particular delicacy. Oh and we´ve had some rain tonight too, it´s quite exciting, but still it´s quite warm.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 05:08 AM

Re: Flying ants

Here in the UK we had our flying ants day a couple of months ago. I have never heard of people catching and eating them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Here in the UK we had our flying ants day a couple of months ago. I have never heard of people catching and eating them.
It seems to be around the middle of August here when some ants take to wing.
Don't think ours are big enough to eat unless you were really desperate .
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Facsinating little creatures.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 10:28 AM

They swarm INSIDE my conservatory,think they probably nested in the back wall for years unnoticed and when conservatory was built were trapped inside.tried various ant traps which they ignored,then tried some terro liquid which they seem to like so hope that's done the job.will have to wait till next summer to find out ! its not just one day they swarm either,we had them for nearly 2 months.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2015, 11:50 AM

I hope you have sorted out your indoor ants cinnamon girl, I´ve never known them to swarm for 2 months, not that I´m any expert on them. In Kenya we would sometimes get 2 swarms during the rainy seasons but one day maximum they were gone, all that would be left was piles of wings. They were bigger than the ones we get, the wings were the size of dragon fly wings.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2015, 09:07 AM

Hi Clumsy,thanks,i hope so too ! its not big swarms everyday,mostly a good handful of workers and flyers with a couple of big swarms gradually trailing of to just a few workers then nothing at all till the next year.I assume they all die of naturally leaving their eggs behind.
Don't fancy your african ones ! I met a plague of locusts once, sailing past the west african coast,that was not very nice!!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

22-10-2015, 09:12 AM

We get locusts here too cinnamon girl, not plagues thank goodness, but they are revolting things and make short work of plants in the garden.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top