Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Ex Pat what could happen on EU exit

Interesting to hear thoughts.

Are There No Winners In Brexit ?

Before David Cameron announced the proposed referendum regarding Britain’s future in the EU, many Britons with roots in Spain asked about the possibility of obtaining Spanish citizenship.

Nationality could possibly allow them escape the excessive bureaucratic paperwork they would face as a foreigner living in Spain.

A political dream by ambitious eurosceptics has turned into a nightmare not only for many of the 1.3 million Britons living in Europe but also leaders in London and Brussels.

The consequences of a Brexit are still not clear but last month the FT reported that more than three-quarters of about 100 economists interviewed believed that the country’s medium-term economic prospects would be affected.

Trade, for the better or worse, would definitely be altered, while many foreign companies might pull out of the UK because the costs of their foreign operations would no doubt skyrocket.

Frequent air travellers to and from Spain will see the price of their tickets rise by more than 40%, according to airline officials.
The days of low cost non-passport flying to the UK may be over.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Re: Ex Pat what could happen on EU exit

Well both sides are using scare tactics, rather than facts. Of course if we leave there will be some readjustment on all sides as every event over the centuries, it will in time level off. Currently our poll on here is 3 to 1 in favour of leaving but i doubt that is a true reflection of the UK as a whole, i expect it will be closer.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Non-passport flying? We have always had to have our passports when returning to UK, even for just a few days. It has to be shown at both ends.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Well both sides are using scare tactics, rather than facts. Of course if we leave there will be some readjustment on all sides as every event over the centuries, it will in time level off. Currently our poll on here is 3 to 1 in favour of leaving but i doubt that is a true reflection of the UK as a whole, i expect it will be closer.
I agree. It's a shame both sides had to resort to point scoring x I have seen no sensible debate so far and reading the Daily Fail only give scare tactics
Goldielocks
Spain

03-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Non-passport flying? We have always had to have our passports when returning to UK, even for just a few days. It has to be shown at both ends.
Hi it will mean you don't have an automatic right to go straight through the EU/UK nothing to declare. You will have to go through immigrant border control. Same as you visit the States or other countries x
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Hi it will mean you don't have an automatic right to go straight through the EU/UK nothing to declare. You will have to go through immigrant border control. Same as you visit the States or other countries x

No we have to pass through immigration just the same and show our passports at both ends.

I've also just done some checking and as at 2006 there were over two million two hundred and ninety five thousand ex pat British living in various European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_diaspora

I suppose it could be many more now. That could be fun couldn't it? All turning up in Britain demanding their right to housing etc etc? Bearing in mind that the greater majority of them have paid their dues in Britain all their working lives.

Regarding becoming a Spanish citizen, very few ex pats would manage that. You have to go before a panel of judges, police and whoever else and you have to prove you can speak fluent Spanish, somehow I doubt there are many ex pats who would manage that.

Oops sorry, just realised what you said. That wouldn't particularly worry me, other than the time involved in being in a long queue. No doubt it would worry some. However it won't just be ex pats living in European countries it will affect, it will also affect those who have holiday homes in European countries.
Goldielocks
Spain

03-04-2016, 04:40 PM

You will be pleased to know me and many friends here won't be returning. . Many own properties here any way so would revert back to buying in the UK. The Spanish however, will be chasing unpaid tax going back decades many have not paid while illegally letting out properties to tourists. Johnny Swagger in the pub is not quite so now. Those of us who have paid tax here and the UK are not to concerned and just follow events

Don't forget scare tactics too by many of the papers.

Thanks for your comments though. It will be interesting to see it all pan out x
Goldielocks
Spain

03-04-2016, 04:48 PM

Just for info the official part is not that bad. Buying a home , signing, notary took 3 weeks. Residency took an hour. Driving licence 1.5 hours You automatically have a right to become a Spanish citizen after 15 years
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

03-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Just for info the official part is not that bad. Buying a home , signing, notary took 3 weeks. Residency took an hour. Driving licence 1.5 hours You automatically have a right to become a Spanish citizen after 15 years
We've been here for 16 years. We don't know anyone who wants to go back either. On Friday a friend and I were talking to a couple from Scotland, the husband had us in stitches, he said if he was told he had to go back, he'd go on the run, he knew a good cave he could hide in
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We've been here for 16 years. We don't know anyone who wants to go back either. On Friday a friend and I were talking to a couple from Scotland, the husband had us in stitches, he said if he was told he had to go back, he'd go on the run, he knew a good cave he could hide in

As long as its not mine. off to rebuild the wall.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top