Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 04:47 AM

What does Brexit mean for locals or expats?

Two interesting articles on ABC news web site.

The first one headed,"Brexit: EU braces for collapse in talks as Theresa May falters" talks about the stalemate in talks."

But after her faltering party conference last week and ahead of important meetings in Brussels over the next fortnight, diplomats and officials there and in big member states said they have been putting renewed focus on contingency planning for a legal limbo in March 2019 and urging businesses to do the same.
Even the talks seem to have come to a halt with Britain's exit only 18 months away. The speculation that there may be a change of PM brought this response:

"With Boris Johnson as prime minister, the negotiations would be easier," one EU diplomat said of the foreign secretary, who has sniped at Ms May's push for a deal that could see Britain stay bound by some EU rules, at least for a transition period.

"We could save ourselves all this analysing as he'd just drive the talks straight off the cliff."
The other article was about Australians living in the EU and their reaction to the Brexit vote; this included a lot of dual nationals (like me I guess). A lot were disappointed and were coming home.

Brexit: What does it mean for Australians living in Europe and the UK?

There was a range of responses but they virtually all voted to remain (or wished they had). Here is one:

London-based teacher Luke Fisher, who is eligible for a British passport, said he had been waiting for the right time to apply for it — but now, he has said he "can't see value in it".

"A British passport was something that I worked towards with the main idea being that someday I'd use the benefits of it and go and work elsewhere in Europe," he said.

"We've got plenty of European students who were fearfully questioning whether they'd be sent back," he said.

"Others were horrified at a decision that has been made on their behalf by a generation who won't likely live to see all the consequences."
Very interesting articles from a point of view outside Europe.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 04:55 AM

Re: What does Brexit mean for locals or expats?

Waiting for the right time ?
You either apply or you don't now he's saved himself the cost of a passport .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Lots of vets here seem to be Australian
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 07:33 AM

Hi

A Hard Brexit would mean a disaster for Brits living abroad.

No more funded Healthcare and double Taxation, firstly here and then again in whichever EU Country they live in.

The only exception to this would be Ex Government Employees and those who transfer over to working for the EU or any member Government.

Which is why all the UK Trade Negotiators have decided to stick with the EU and not come back to work for us.

Even on a very basic level, our Government are offering £35 an hour with no protection, Zero Hours Contracts.

The EU are offering £135 an hour with full protection and Pension Entitlement and single taxation.

We tried to recruit Trade Negotiators on £75k a year.

Other Countries are offering £200k a year for the same people.

Such is life, idiot Politicians.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Would a hard Brexit mean that those British living and owning property abroad, say in Spain or Poland, would have to come back to Britain?

Does anybody know how many expat Brits there are?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Brits lived in Spain before it was part of the Eu and I dare say will keep living there .

Some may come back but will find it hard after Spain .
It's expensive here .
However if you are chronically ill and can't afford private medical treatment the Uk will be best for you .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Hi

There are around 1.2 million Brits living in the EU.

Those that are working should be OK, but whatever restrictions the UK puts on EU citizens living in the UK, will be matched.

The big problem will be those who have retired, Hard Brexit means that they could lose the right to reciprocal taxation, which will hit them hard.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 08:47 PM

I predict antipodeans will have no trouble coming to the UK to work under existing arrangements. However, it's no longer as appealing since they changed the tax rules for contractors.

I seriously doubt anyone will need a visa to visit European countries or vice versa with the UK. Reciprocal healthcare agreements are likely to stay.
Casual jobs in the EU will be another matter. Probably still be able to do cash in hand unofficial work in some countries but professional jobs will need to be arranged in advance. There has been a massive fall in antipodeans coming to the UK for the year long working holidays. This seemed to start to reduce at about the time Cameron was first voted in. A weaker pound doesn't help.

Not that it's a bad thing that they changed the tax rules, some antipodeans were raking it in and then buying houses back home while paying hardly any tax here.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

10-10-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I predict antipodeans will have no trouble coming to the UK to work under existing arrangements. However, it's no longer as appealing since they changed the tax rules for contractors.

I seriously doubt anyone will need a visa to visit European countries or vice versa with the UK.
Australians don't need visas to visit the EU now. What will change is that people like my kids who are entitled to British residency and employment will no longer automatically be able to work in Europe. That really is the only effect of Brexit on Australians.

However it won't affect the many Australians with dual EU citizenship ie Polish, French, Italian, German etc remembering that Melbourne has the largest Greek population of any city in the world except Athens.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Australians don't need visas to visit the EU now. What will change is that people like my kids who are entitled to British residency and employment will no longer automatically be able to work in Europe. That really is the only effect of Brexit on Australians.

However it won't affect the many Australians with dual EU citizenship ie Polish, French, Italian, German etc remembering that Melbourne has the largest Greek population of any city in the world except Athens.
I haven't actually met many Antipodeans who wish to work in Europe. They have always come here to work and then gone on regular breaks to Europe as tourists. I was under the impression that coming to the UK they need work visas if they are staying for a year. I'm not sure how it works now but you used to have to be under 25 or 26 to do it. I know quite a few people who went to Australia to do this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top