Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 10:06 PM

Re: Betrayal By Our Own MP's!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm not sure why you think voters will have any say in what happens. It's all a battle between those who will make money by having a deal and those who stand to make a killing if we crash out. Do you really think any of them care about ordinary voters?
Voters WILL have a say in 2022.

Many will vote out those MPs who clearly don't care about their electorate.

The MPs just don't see it yet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Yes because disgruntled voters have always made a big difference in the past....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes because disgruntled voters have always made a big difference in the past....
We can only vote for those put themselves forward, we need after brexit to sort that out. Will be a lot of squealing as their snouts are pulled out of the trough, starting with MEPs moving on to HOL next hopefully.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We can only vote for those put themselves forward, we need after brexit to sort that out. Will be a lot of squealing as their snouts are pulled out of the trough, starting with MEPs moving on to HOL next hopefully.

I bloody hope not!!! - do you really want to see Farridge with his nose in the trough yet again ??? - attending HoL, claiming his expences and then buggering off again without participating per se.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I bloody hope not!!! - do you really want to see Farridge with his nose in the trough yet again ??? - attending HoL, claiming his expences and then buggering off again without participating per se.
I think you misunderstood what I said UJ, I was saying we get rid of MEPs with brexit and hopefully we can get rid of the HOL once we are out of the EU. One thing at a time.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 01:10 PM

I think you misunderstood what I said UJ, I was saying we get rid of MEPs with brexit and hopefully we can get rid of the HOL once we are out of the EU. One thing at a time.

We are not debarred from abolishing the HoL merely because we are (currently) a member of the EU. Unfortunately the scumbag 'nasty party' wouldn't even dream of doing so.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-01-2019, 01:25 PM

We are not debarred from abolishing the HoL merely because we are (currently) a member of the EU. Unfortunately the scumbag 'nasty party' wouldn't even dream of doing so.
I realise that UJ but many of us and I include me didn't realise quite how dreadful our politicians on all sides had become. Now we know they can't be trusted it does mean we can now move forward hopefully to sort it out. It took brexit to make it clear.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 01:27 PM

I completely agree.

The House of Lords is neither use nor ornament. It costs the country a great deal of money for little or no return, especially as the number of members is outrageously high: over 800 people, many of whom don't even contribute and only attend briefly in order to either collect their £350, have a sleep, or both.

Worse still, it is not democratically elected and is therefore contrary to the definition of government of a democracy.

I would agree with a 'second house' but it should be elected by the people, perhaps in a different way such as proportional representation.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

08-01-2019, 01:59 PM

I realise that UJ but many of us and I include me didn't realise quite how dreadful our politicians on all sides had become. Now we know they can't be trusted it does mean we can now move forward hopefully to sort it out. It took brexit to make it clear.

Julie darlin' - I've been an advocate of constitutional reform for many decades. I want, not only the HoL abolished and replaced with a democratically elected second chamber, but abolition of the monarchy too, to be replaced with an elected President. Ken Livingstone would make an excellent first choice !!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Julie darlin' - I've been an advocate of constitutional reform for many decades. I want, not only the HoL abolished and replaced with a democratically elected second chamber, but abolition of the monarchy too, to be replaced with an elected President. Ken Livingstone would make an excellent first choice !!!
As I said one thing at a time, we don't want revolution but smooth political changes. I always think we need to see what one change does before leaping into another, each change has ripples that may clash with other changes if they are done too quick. I'm not adverse to Ken but I'd hate to see changes go wrong and him end up installed as a dictator. We need to sort out HOL first.

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top