Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:01 AM

Re: Teresa May is voted down .

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, at least that is something we have saved.
It’s comprised of money for a transitional period and money we owe. We may save the money for the transitional period butIf we if default on our debts the UK will be seen as a bad actor and the consequences associated with that would likely cost us far more than we save

If you want to save money then tha taxpayers contributions to public sector pensions is a good place to start. That’s where the real gravy train is
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:21 AM

Hi

As things stand at the moment UK law is that we leave at the end of March.

We can, if we wish, cancel Article 50 and stay in the EU.

We cannot extend it without the permission of the EU.

May's deal is dead, voted down by a huge majority.

She has lost all credibility but has not resigned.

It is a unique position and I have no idea at all what will happen now.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:26 AM

I don't understand why she wasted a month putting the inevitable off.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hi

That is how she works, everybody is wrong except her.

She was deliberately running the clock down, her deal or no deal, hoping that parliament would cave in to avoid a no deal.

This did not work and she now has 3 days to come up with a Plan B.

The EU are not stupid and will be thinking they are wasting their time negotiating with a leader with no credibility.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I agree Annie, the delay has contributed absolutely nothing and actually antagonising MPs (and the speaker ) and has if anything made a bad situation worse.
I actually feel May would have got more of the vote had she gone for it in December not that it would have made much difference she would still have lost anyway.

I think the cards have now been thrown up in the air and how they land is anyone's guess.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:36 AM

As a concerned Brit speaking from Australia,I would just like to say that I'm glad I'm speaking from Australia.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
As a concerned Brit speaking from Australia,I would just like to say that I'm glad I'm speaking from Australia.
Thanks for that PS you concern is appreciated, you lucky thing a spectator rather than a participant ...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I second that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 01:51 AM

The basic problem as I see it Mrs May is no good at negotiation or choosing someone that is. I have to say I don't think there is any politician in government or opposition with the backbone and guts to stand up and tell the EU what we want and what we are going to do. Take it or leave it.

This length of time between the voting and now plainly shows that Politicians are basically useless apart from flapping their gobs up and down

Mrs May has been flitting around Europe like a butterfly in the wind, not knowing which way the wind is going to take her

I honestly can't see Maggie Thatcher standing for it, there was a decisive PM like or loathe her she said-did- got done what she set out to do, no messing about. We could do with another like her at this present time.

I don't understand why she Mrs May has been poncing around for two years at our expense and got nowhere.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-01-2019, 05:28 AM

Hi

The thing is we have told the EU what we want and to take it or leave it.

May did this in her speech on starting Article 50.

No payments, no free movement, no ECJ, no customs union, a Canada +++ Trade Deal and No Deal is better than a bad Deal.

The EU got together and said you are not having that, it is not in our interests, you can have a standard WTO Trade Deal, same as Canada, Japan and South Korea.

May turned that down and then made no real preparations for No Deal.

Our No Deal preparations were so pitiful she then went back and asked the EU for a two year Transition Period.

Meanwhile our Politicians were arguing amongst themselves what exactly they did want.

There was no cohesian at all and you cannot negotiate from such a position of weakness.

We are now in this mess.

There is no appetite in Parliament for a No Deal, so we are back to square one.

The £ has not tanked, because the Money Markets now believe the chance of a No Deal has been reduced.

The International Press have been incredulous at the mess we now find ourselves in.

Our MPs are still fighting amongst themselves so no clear path as to what we do next.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.2adbbf70cca6

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top