Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Re: A true Leaver

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
So you support companies relocating to the regions where their largest markets are?

That would mean Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls Royce and numerous other companies all leaving the UK. Fortunately they have more regard for, and loyalty towards the UK than Dyson.

He had already showed his contempt for British workers when he transferred all his production to Malaysia
Yes - it makes perfect sense to do so. In fact I think its only 2 jobs being relocated in reality and there is continuing investment into the UK R&D site and Malmesbury.

In case you hadn't noticed.... Dysons manufacturing is already in Singapore - unlike JLR so I don't know where you are getting these ideas that Dyson has something to do with Brexit. It hasn't - your barking up the wrong tree and making the wrong assumptions as usual.

I worked with James Dyson for about 6 months - one thing his workers will never say is that he has contempt for them. He is one of the best employers I have ever met.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 10:49 AM

Well the point is that if you are based on a country you usually pay tax there. So I'd be interested to know whether the company still pay any taxes in the UK. I'm not sure why people are defending this move. It's not good for Britain.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well the point is that if you are based on a country you usually pay tax there. So I'd be interested to know whether the company still pay any taxes in the UK. I'm not sure why people are defending this move. It's not good for Britain.
Well, not really that's why his HQ is Singapore so he pays tax there. He can't win, on one side there are complaints because he doesn't pay tax here but on the other hand I bet Singapore is complaining because he doesn't pay tax there and thats where his manufacturing is.

The only problem with Dyson as I see it is that it wasn't very good timing and he could have waited until May/June to stop the doom-mongerers making a big deal out if it by putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 10:56 AM

Possibly the fact Singapore signed a trade deal with EU a few months ago ( opening market for dyson ) should no deal be had for the uk may have just a little to do with it
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Well, not really that's why his HQ is Singapore so he pays tax there. He can't win, on one side there are complaints because he doesn't pay tax here but on the other hand I bet Singapore is complaining because he doesn't pay tax there and thats where his manufacturing is.

The only problem with Dyson as I see it is that it wasn't very good timing and he could have waited until May/June to stop the doom-mongerers making a big deal out if it by putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.
But the company did pay tax here because this was their base. Now it appears they won't. It is being made into a big deal because it is a big deal. The timing is obviously linked to the situation here. He's very astute. But the move is indefensible given his status here as a national entrepreneurial and innovation success story. He has nothing to lose but his reputation. He was very pro brexit and now he has moved his business base out.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 12:24 PM

He's changing his business aspirations from vacuum cleaners to electric cars and has been for some time.

https://www.ft.com/content/086bc9a2-...4-33d6f82e62f8
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-01-2019, 12:34 PM

It's nothing to do with that. The manufacturing base has been there some time. This will be a tax move.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But the company did pay tax here because this was their base. Now it appears they won't. It is being made into a big deal because it is a big deal. The timing is obviously linked to the situation here. He's very astute. But the move is indefensible given his status here as a national entrepreneurial and innovation success story. He has nothing to lose but his reputation. He was very pro brexit and now he has moved his business base out.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...e-netherlands/

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...-to-amsterdam/

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/0...use-of-brexit/

And so on.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 06:00 PM

Hi

We are globalised, like it or not, we cannot put the clock back.

Big business will go wherever they can make more profits, that is why Dyson moved manufacturing from the UK.

Dyson moving HQ is a tax loss to the UK.

Other companies based here in the UK are moving to the EU, a simple fact of life, and their moves are as a direct result of Brexit.

Services, our biggest exports, are not covered by WTO Rules or Free Trade Deals and these companies are setting up in the EU, simply because that is a bigger market than the UK.

There will not be a lot of job losses, but there will be a lot of Tax Losses.

Juncker is laughing, the former Prime Minister of Luxembourg, 40 UK based companies have moved their offices to Luxembourg, others to Frankfurt and Dublin, so they can continue trading in the EU.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...to-luxembourg/

Panasonic moved last year, Sony is moving and P&O are moving the ferries from UK Registration.

There always was a financial cost to Brexit, it is not all savings.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 06:51 PM

So what you are saying Swim is that the UK government is making tax undesirable to UK businesses, quite aside from BrExit.

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top