Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Re: Stockpiling

Grow your own veg people, simples.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Grow your own veg people, simples.
Sure I will just give up my job. Then after months of backbreaking work in the garden will see my crops ruined by slugs or bad weather. In the meantime I will eat jam. When I am sick I won't be able to work in the garden so the crops will be ruined.

There is a reason we have shops stocked full of fresh produce every day of the year and that reason is backed up by intricate planning and supply chains. We have some of the best logistics in this part of the world.

Thousands of years of civilisation and we prefer to go back in the cave and start from scratch?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 01:40 PM

In 2015 the UK produced 52% of food consumed in the UK. 29% was imported from the EU (which is a lot of food), the balance from the rest of the world. The 52% is net of exports. You cannot just divert the exports into domestic consumption. They are things we have enough of already and have their own contracts and supply chains. Unless of course you're going to sustain yourself on whisky....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:20 PM

I was planning some raised beds for veg this year.
Now someone had told me to grow my own, I'm not going to! So there!
Call me contrary, but I need to complain about as much as possible!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sure I will just give up my job. Then after months of backbreaking work in the garden will see my crops ruined by slugs or bad weather.
Stupid comment TBH.

It's very easy to clear a space in the garden to plant veg and even easier to simply grow veg in pots and buckets and planters on the patio.

Effort required really is not much at all. Just plonk some decent soil/compost in the pots/site and plant the seedlings.
Nature does the rest. A couple of courgette plants in pots will produce loads of courgettes with no difficulty at all.

Potatoes grown in pots or even black bags will do extremely well and deliver the most tasty spuds you could wish for.
No back breaking work at all to achieve these things. Just need to keep them watered that's all.

Nature provides and does so in abundance. Plant 1, get many in return. It's exponential abundance.

There is a reason we have shops stocked full of fresh produce every day of the year and that reason is backed up by intricate planning and supply chains. We have some of the best logistics in this part of the world.
The reason is because some humans want to exploit other humans for their personal benefit and wealth. The businesses use the FREE abundance of Nature and then CHARGE the ordinary folk who have been conditioned to depend on shops and supermarkets.

Thousands of years of civilisation and we prefer to go back in the cave and start from scratch?
Thousands of years of exploitation of the many by the few who thereby keep their nests well feathered at our expense.
Our food, our water, our shelter. What next? Will they claim right to the atmosphere and start charging us for the air we breathe??

Nature is free. So it has always been.

No-one has a right to deny anyone the abundance of Nature
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Stupid comment TBH.

It's very easy to clear a space in the garden to plant veg and even easier to simply grow veg in pots and buckets and planters on the patio.

Effort required really is not much at all. Just plonk some decent soil/compost in the pots/site and plant the seedlings.
Nature does the rest. A couple of courgette plants in pots will produce loads of courgettes with no difficulty at all.
If any comment is lacking insight it's the above. You are judging others by your own standards and abilities.

I do the above every year Realist. It's a hobby and something I enjoy immensely, but it's certainly not effortless! It's time consuming and requires constant effort. I have some problems with my ligaments so I have to be careful not to overdo things. Not everyone is as robust as you are!

One year most of my crop was eaten by slugs. Last year snails destroyed much of it and then there was the heat. Before you advise pellets, we have a dog and two cats. I am planning raised beds this year and growing potatoes in sacks & other large containers. But that's all hard work.

But even with the best effort and lots of energy (which I don't have in bags after a day at work), the crop you can yield from a garden is not going to feed you all year. If you have the strength to dig up your whole garden it might sustain part of your diet for a couple of months. Eventually it spoils unless you spend all your spare time freezing it and pickling (frankly some of us have a life!).

Many people live in flats or houses without an acre of land. Are you proposing they can grow all they need inside their house? Where are they going to sleep?!

The reason is because some humans want to exploit other humans for their personal benefit and wealth. The businesses use the FREE abundance of Nature and then CHARGE the ordinary folk who have been conditioned to depend on shops and supermarkets.
No the reason is civilisation. Ever since humans have been on this planet we have been working together to form communities, societies and exchange goods and services. Your comments are implying that is worthless, but it's how we have survived the planet's harshest conditions. Shame on you for poo-pooing civilisation.

Thousands of years of exploitation of the many by the few who thereby keep their nests well feathered at our expense.
Our food, our water, our shelter. What next? Will they claim right to the atmosphere and start charging us for the air we breathe??

Nature is free. So it has always been.

No-one has a right to deny anyone the abundance of Nature
To loosely paraphrase the Godfather III, "that's the price we pay for the life we live". Living in a society means giving up some of our freedom. It's exactly the same in nature. Look at animal behaviour. Those banished from a herd or pack do not do well alone.

It's clear you're just pushing your anarchist agenda again. But for people to say "grow your own" is the most ridiculous Brexit propaganda I've yet to see. It's an underlying nonsense that's been pervading the armageddon-esce nature of recent debates. This is perversely coupled with assertions that talk of shortages is all "project fear".

The shambles has addled the thinking of leave-lovers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I was planning some raised beds for veg this year.
Now someone had told me to grow my own, I'm not going to! So there!
Call me contrary, but I need to complain about as much as possible!
Tessa I have two raised beds and some large tubs and manage to grow a surprisingly large amount of produce with careful planting including 22 heads of garlic , early potatoes, enough runner beans for myself and the neighbours, leeks, 6 purple sprouting brocolli plants to cut and come again , rasberries and perpetual strawberries .
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 03:22 PM

There's going to be no lettuce after Brexit, according to the BBC
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
There's going to be no lettuce after Brexit, according to the BBC
And no tomatoes! McDonald's will have to fly in some from the states for their burgers.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
And no tomatoes! McDonald's will have to fly in some from the states for their burgers.
No tomatoes and no lettuce .....

A great excuse to avoid salads..

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top