Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 02:53 PM

What would you do?

I was going to post this just after Christmas but decided to hold back for a while due to the sad news about Nom.

I have two friends (ex-work colleagues) who I have kept in touch with. They are both mid to late eighties. One, I last saw about five years ago and the other I have not seen for almost 30 years. Despite not seeing either of them for ages, I have kept in touch with them both at Christmas time by sending and receiving cards.

Last Christmas though, I didn't receive a card from either of them so I am thinking the worst. I would like to know if they are OK or not but not sure what to do. I don't have a phone number for either of them and it would feel a bit weird sending a letter basically trying to find out of they are alive or dead. One of them had his son living with him but again, it doesn't seem right to ask.

There are other possible reasons for not receiving cards from them, perhaps they got lost or they just decided not to send them anymore but it does seem a bit of a coincidence.

Anyone else had this problem before and what did you do?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Re: What would you do?

Difficult Longlegs.
I looked on Fakebook. I also looked at BMD for older friends. I found the death for two younger friends.
Look online at the voting register.
Do you need a link for that?
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was going to post this just after Christmas but decided to hold back for a while due to the sad news about Nom.

I have two friends (ex-work colleagues) who I have kept in touch with. They are both mid to late eighties. One, I last saw about five years ago and the other I have not seen for almost 30 years. Despite not seeing either of them for ages, I have kept in touch with them both at Christmas time by sending and receiving cards.

Last Christmas though, I didn't receive a card from either of them so I am thinking the worst. I would like to know if they are OK or not but not sure what to do. I don't have a phone number for either of them and it would feel a bit weird sending a letter basically trying to find out of they are alive or dead. One of them had his son living with him but again, it doesn't seem right to ask.

There are other possible reasons for not receiving cards from them, perhaps they got lost or they just decided not to send them anymore but it does seem a bit of a coincidence.

Anyone else had this problem before and what did you do?
If you know their addresses you could do a search on something like 192.com as I think it show death records, not sure if you have to pay though to access it, I think I might have more access to it at work, if I do I would not mind checking for you
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:01 PM

I would write to them, saying that it's a long time since you've heard from them, (not mentioning the lack of card), and are they all right?

If the worst has happened, then the next of kin etc. will see the letter and hopefully respond to you.

Also, put your address on the back of the envelope, so that if it doesn't get delivered to them, or their next of kin, (or if the house has been sold, etc.), it can be returned to sender, and that way you'll know something has happened.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:05 PM

How kind of Colin, yes 192 is the place.
Some are free.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Write a letter in the usual way with your address and hopefully you will get a reply. Hopefully all will be well.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
How kind of Colin, yes 192 is the place.
Some are free.
Some info is, the free one might show if they still live at that address
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:09 PM

Oh that's good to know, my elderly cousin in Wales didn't send me a card this year and the card I sent came back.
I hope you find out about your friends LD x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

03-02-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Some info is, the free one might show if they still live at that address
True and you get five free goes a day.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Longy, The same happened to me with a girl l was very friendly with at college. We lost touch but a few years ago l traced her and we kept in touch.
In 2017, l didn’t receive a Christmas card, so when l was writing my Christmas cards last year, l didn’t know what to do?
I googled her name and the first thing that came up was an obituary for her. I was so shocked as she was only my age.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top