Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:28 AM

Re: UK trade with other EU countries

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Swimfeeders, please don't take this as a criticism of any kind, I am just trying to understand.

If, under WT rules we remove tariffs for an imported commodity, don't we have to remove them from all commodities from wherever they originate?
Hi

For that commodity, yes.

Unless there is a Free Trade Agreement in place, WTO Rules mean that everyone is to be treated equally.

We can however put limits on how much of that commodity we import.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

For that commodity, yes.

Unless there is a Free Trade Agreement in place, WTO Rules mean that everyone is to be treated equally.

We can however put limits on how much of that commodity we import.
So, if we remove tariffs from say wine from EU countries such as Spain, Germany, Bulgeria and of course France we would have to remove tariffs from wine from South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, America etc. So presumably making them cheaper (I'm for that).

How would that affect our own wine industry? And surely this example would go for many other UK industries.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Oh dear, I suspect you have been visiting those fake news sites again

If your logic was sound then everyone would be trading on Zero tariffs But they don’t, and for good reason. Do your research and you may work out why, although I won’t hold my breath
Isn't that what free trade agreements are all about? removing tariffs, Australia is largely tariff (and subsidy) free anyway (other than 10% GST - our VAT). We have obligations to WTO rules.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Isn't that what free trade agreements are all about? removing tariffs, Australia is largely tariff (and subsidy) free anyway (other than 10% GST - our VAT). We have obligations to WTO rules.
Free trade agreements are specific agreements between countries and countries can be selective as to who they enter into a deal with and what other conditions apply
Zero tarrif on WTO rules cannot be selective and does not guarantee a reciprocal arrangement and could result in a flood of cheap goods from anywhere in the world that potentially could damage domestic manufacturing.

Whilst Australia does has some zero and low rate tariffs it is by no means largely tariff free

https://dfat.gov.au/trade/organisati...-schedule.aspx
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:06 PM

So, if we remove tariffs from say wine from EU countries such as Spain, Germany, Bulgeria and of course France we would have to remove tariffs from wine from South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, America etc. So presumably making them cheaper (I'm for that).

How would that affect our own wine industry? And surely this example would go for many other UK industries.

Again, no answer came the stern reply. Same as the questions,

Which countries are queuing up to do free trade deals with us?

What are the advantages of doing our own trade deals?

Why did you vote for brexit? I hear a lot about its not just about trade, its not just about money, its not just about immigration etc, but nothing about WHY people did.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
could result in a flood of cheap goods from anywhere in the world that potentially could damage domestic manufacturing.
Yes that is my worry. Particularly as we are rushing into this. You spend years negotiating deals so that you do not end up worse off. I'm also worried about the quality of such imports. We have been used to high quality because of EU rules. That could all change.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Again, no answer came the stern reply. Same as the questions,

Which countries are queuing up to do free trade deals with us?

What are the advantages of doing our own trade deals?

Why did you vote for brexit? I hear a lot about its not just about trade, its not just about money, its not just about immigration etc, but nothing about WHY people did.

Your arguing with yourself
itsme
Wigan UK

10-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Your arguing with yourself
Just looking for answers friend, don't seem to be any
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Just looking for answers friend, don't seem to be any

I wasn't being funny but I didnt know who you were asking because you quoted your own post by mistake.

I've done it myself loads of times ... fat fingers ha ha
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Dear itsme,you ask the question ,why did a majority of people voted for Brexit,personally l voted out in order to change the status quo, and l believe most out voters had the same reasons also.We are just fed up with being ignored/,sidelined/,talked down to/,devalued and held in contempt by,for want of a better word,the establishment,which has been responsible for destroying our industries on which the larger population at that time were employed in.Being in the EU only made things worse ,via,freedom of movement,destruction of our fishing industry etc.does that answer your question?lcould go on further but l think you have enough to chew on for now. Regards ,Donkeyman.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top