Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Re: New style computers...

I had a PC built for me and XP installed because 'Vista' (the current system at that time) was so awful. I'm still using it.

On principle, I don't buy new gagdets. I wait till other people have the teething troubles and all the bugs are ironed out! Then I generally only buy them if I need them.

Ironically, I spent my career in and around I.T., and grew to distrust technology more and more.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
On principle, I don't buy new gagdets. I wait till other people have the teething troubles and all the bugs are ironed out!
I get a lot of interest out of that part, so always get the latest OS as soon as it comes out ..providing I can afford it. Windows 8 Pro upgrade was only £30-00 (including V.A.T). Not bad for the hours of interest it has provided. Can hardly get a night out for that these days.

I haven't come across any bugs but getting to know the OS has occupied the mind for a while.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 11:30 PM

I have been on 8 for about a fortnight, and only found one problem, a forum I am on run by Yuku, I just cant get into their chat room, anybody any ideas.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 08:46 AM

That sounds like a browser problem Wrinkly. Do you have another browser installed that you could try the chat room with?

If you have only tried it with Internet Explorer 10 (comes with Windows 8), it could be that the Yuku chat room just isn't compatible with it. Web sites may not always work with all types of browser. IE10 is very new and perhaps the site would need updating in order to cater for it. It could be argued that IE10 should be made to cater for all web sites but that's another discussion.

It doesn't hurt to have a second browser installed on the computer. Browsers should co-exist happily side by side, even when both running at the same time. One doesn't affect the operation of another (I have both Google Chrome and Firefox installed). Perhaps install Firefox, Chrome or Opera to see if the chat room works then.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Cheers Mart, I will try another browser.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

31-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Chrome worked fine Mart, thank you.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I had a PC built for me and XP installed because 'Vista' (the current system at that time) was so awful. I'm still using it.

On principle, I don't buy new gagdets. I wait till other people have the teething troubles and all the bugs are ironed out!
Absolutely agree, I always tell people in my computer classes to wait at least until Micro$oft releases Service Pack 1 for any operating system.

You are right about Vista it was a dog, having said that I now have to use it on several computers - I suspect M$ are giving it away to 'good' causes.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 06:50 AM

Have you considered buying a Mac? We are an all-Mac household and I would never go back to Microsoft. The keyboard, overall design, layout and graphics are much superior IMHO. And no number pad. We have two desktop Macs and two ipads which we wouldn't be without.

The ipads are so convenient for both home and travel. You can use it anywhere in the house with no cords, plugs heavy weight and they are instant for email and internet. They are ideal for travel as you can buy pay as you go data per month and use them anywhere you get mobile phone coverage. According to something I read recently people over 40 now account for 37% of ipad sales, up 23% from last year. Have a look at the Mac "Notebook" laptops and the ipad before you decide.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

01-01-2013, 11:42 AM

I just wish the big boys would get together, and stop fighting.
Apparently they are in conflict, which quite often we get the worst of, different browsers should be compatible, and I thought they were these days.
I am not very good with IT never have been, but I have had PC's since the days we used to have to type in the IT programme in IT language, and that was one mammoth task, one missed digit, and you had to go right through the programme to see where the mistake was, it could have been something simple like a space or a dot, but miss it and your proramme wouldn't go in.
Anybody else remember those days?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I just wish the big boys would get together, and stop fighting.
Apparently they are in conflict, which quite often we get the worst of, different browsers should be compatible, and I thought they were these days.
All web sites/pages should be written to conform to a standard and all browsers should be designed so that they all interpret, in the same way, web pages that are written to this standard. This is the aim of the W3C organisation (World Wide Web Consortium). Pages written to their requirements should look the same in all browsers.

That seems to be an ideal world though. Not all web pages conform to W3C.org's strict standards. It's interesting to put a URL of any web page found on the Internet into the Address Box in this page...

http://validator.w3.org/

...and let it be scanned for errors. There are likely to be a good number of them.

Pages written to the standard (no errors) would be much more likely to look and behave the same in all browsers. I believe that Internet Explorer does try to adhere to standards these days while other browsers perhaps are more tolerant of web page errors. If that is the case, it would explain why the Yuku page works in Chrome but not in Internet Explorer 10. I wonder how many errors would be found if the Yuku chat room URL/page was scanned by the Markup Validation Service (link above).

My own web site is pretty old now but when it was being put together, I went to great pains in order to get it to comply to W3C's standards. It therefore should look the same in any browser used:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boots44/

When it complies, you get the great pleasure of being able to place a little badge in the page (see the bottom of the one linked to)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top