Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 05:35 PM

Re: Trickle Battery Chargers

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Better check what type of battery you have first as the modern one's used in stop-start car engines can't be charged with a standard charger.
Hi Judd thank you, I don't think that 'stop start' technology will l be a problem with my ancient Ford Fiesta reg 2007 .

It is one up from a horse and cart but with only 28,000 miles on the clock too good to get rid of.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 06:12 PM

Hi meg, you can get a smart charger for your car and with these modern chargers they won’t do any damage if you connect them the wrong way round, the ground you mentioned is the cars body, ie, the negative terminal basically connects to the cars body, but unless you can see a good earth, then it would be best to connect the red to positive ( it will be marked or colour coded on the battery) and black to the other battery terminal ( again it will be marked), but don’t switch it on until you have connected up.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Judd thank you, I don't think that 'stop start' technology will l be a problem with my ancient Ford Fiesta reg 2007 .

It is one up from a horse and cart but with only 28,000 miles on the clock too good to get rid of.
Oops...........
Fiesta............and there I thought it was a Ferrari.........!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Hi meg, you can get a smart charger for your car and with these modern chargers they won’t do any damage if you connect them the wrong way round, the ground you mentioned is the cars body, ie, the negative terminal basically connects to the cars body, but unless you can see a good earth, then it would be best to connect the red to positive ( it will be marked or colour coded on the battery) and black to the other battery terminal ( again it will be marked), but don’t switch it on until you have connected up.
....Hi Primus I don't think I will be connecting the wrong terminals to the charger , I was just confused about 'finding a bolt or a clean part of the cars body' on which to clip the negative lead as some sites have stated.

In the days when I charged batteries on other cars I always removed the battery from the car and charged it in an open garage, clipped on the negative lead first and never turned on the mains till all was connected but I can't lift a battery in and out of the car now I am an old lady and I shouldn't need to with a trickle charger ..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-08-2020, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Oops...........
Fiesta............and there I thought it was a Ferrari.........!
Not a chance Besoeker I like small simple cars nothing fancy.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 09:12 PM

....Hi Primus I don't think I will be connecting the wrong terminals to the charger , I was just confused about 'finding a bolt or a clean part of the cars body' on which to clip the negative lead as some sites have stated.

In the days when I charged batteries on other cars I always removed the battery from the car and charged it in an open garage, clipped on the negative lead first and never turned on the mains till all was connected but I can't lift a battery in and out of the car now I am an old lady and I shouldn't need to with a trickle charger ..

Yes just clip onto the battery terminals, no need to even remove them, charge in situ
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-08-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes just clip onto the battery terminals, no need to even remove them, charge in situ
Thanks Primus
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Although you look upon your Fiesta as ancient, its 1.25L efficient engine was a class leader in its time and not too far behind even considering today's engine technology. Serviced regularly, your engine should be good for another 100K miles due to the protective nature of modern engine oils. Now as for the bodywork, that is a different matter as steel will corrode as it ages but again, with protective underseals available in 2007, car undersides last many years longer than they used to do :thumbup:
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

22-08-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Although you look upon your Fiesta as ancient, its 1.25L efficient engine was a class leader in its time and not too far behind even considering today's engine technology. Serviced regularly, your engine should be good for another 100K miles due to the protective nature of modern engine oils. Now as for the bodywork, that is a different matter as steel will corrode as it ages but again, with protective underseals available in 2007, car undersides last many years longer than they used to do :thumbup:
LD it is 1.4L
I have refused the generous offer of a more up to date car from my son. My car has only had 2 owners the first for 18 months and myself, it is regularly serviced by a really good little garage.
The owner an ex racing car mechanic says my car is a little gem with the low milage and not to let anyone persuade me to get rid of it.

Back to the trickle charger, I am currently looking at the CTEK MXS 5.0 and if my car has a a 'live' cigarette lighter with the ignition off , I will get an adapter and use that instead of the crock leads .
Primus1
York

22-08-2020, 02:26 PM

If it costs you very little to run and you’re not into up to date Models, then keep it until it cost too much in repairs, the only problem is if the engine is not the latest in low emissions for the ulez targets that some major cities are now turning to so if you drive into one of these zones then you may have to pay a big charge ( fine) , but you can always use p&r

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top