Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Re: Eddie Van Halen

If you’ve heard the lead break ( guitar solo) on Micheal Jackson’s beat it, that was Eddie van halen, a genius on the guitar..rip Eddie
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Had to laugh at the posts from the Matt Monroe fans above...’...oooh, what a noise Gladys, I don’t like it’ :lol
Who??
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Indeed. R.I.P.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 10:15 AM

Oh dear, what a shock. I had no idea he was I'll and it sounds like he had been suffering for a long, long time. He was indeed a music genius and came up with the immortal 'Jump'

RIP
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 11:56 AM

He's had throat cancer for over twenty years. Carried on smoking etc. Rock n Roll lifestyle I guess. Real loss to the ever dwindling group of true guitaring heroes.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 10:48 AM

One of my guitar heroes ... what can I say, I've played those fast tapping licks in Eruption for around 30 years and we do the song, Jump in the band. Eddie was not just an inspiration, his was the guy every guitarist wanted to be. No more did kids need a super expensive guitar, Eddie showed the world that the best in the world use the body of an old Charvel and neck found in the bin at Wayne Charvels workshop, an old pickup (he didn't know what it was) that he waxed himself, cutting the wires of the other ones and leaving them hanging loose, not connected to anything (he didn't know how to wire them up at the time) and putting trem springs on so tight that the trem only went forwards and had a coin (5c) under the bridge to stop it going too far back. Spray it with car paint and put some cool stripes on and hey presto - the most iconic guitar in the world is born, costing less than $100

The yellow and black version he made is buried with DimeBag Darrell from Pantera. He was shot by some loony in the crowd when he was on stage and died of his head injuries as soon as he hit the floor. He was a massive fan of Eddie and so, Eddie gave his wife his black and yellow striped guitar, to be buried with DimeBag.

As well as winning guitarist of the year consistently for 7 years in a row before removing himself from the candidates, he invented.....

1. EVH Wolfgang guitar
2. Peavey Wolfgang
3. MusicMan Axis
4. EVH 5150 amp and cab (and re-designed the wooden bracings in the cab itself).
5. Peavey 5150 amp and cab
6. EVH 5101 Mk1 Mk 2 and Mk3 plus cab
7. The MXR EVH Flanger, EVH Phase 90 and EVH Chorus pedals
8. Invented the Floyd Rose trem
9. Invented the Floyd Rose locking system
10. Came up with the idea of using a variac to increase the voltage into his amp for better tone, more gain. This would last about 2 hours before he blew a set of valves
11. Waxed pots

and countless other things.

RIP Eddie...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top