Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 09:31 PM

Very Advanced Driving

I am 65 -going on 66- and, as far as I can tell, the way I drive is pretty much the same as it’s always been. I have always been aware that elderly drivers seem to have a style of their own, but when you are young, it doesn’t occur to you that one day you will become one yourself. So, now that I am approaching that point in my life when I will need to make the transition to elderly driver, I think it would be wise to take steps to prepare myself for it.

I have booked a two-week course with a local driving school. They run a programme especially designed for older drivers.

Week 1 consists of partly theoretical, and partly practical training. There will be two whole days spent in the classroom, mainly devoted to mental attitude. Our roads have never been busier than they are today, and there is so much going on around us. We will be studying techniques and strategies to completely block out all this hustle and bustle, enabling us to drive along completely oblivious to our immediate surroundings and other road users.

The remaining three days of week 1 will be spent practicing on-road manoeuvres, such as out-of-the-blue U turns on the approach to busy road junctions, and ignoring no entry signs, regardless of what lies beyond them. While not particularly technically demanding, these procedures require extensive practice before it is possible to overcome one’s instinctive reluctance to perform them.

Week 2 is devoted entirely to motorway driving. There are quite a few points to cover on this part of the course, but by far the majority of the week will be spent on speed awareness. On each of the five days of week 2, the trainee is required to drive a twenty mile stretch of motorway at 30 mph in the middle lane. It is necessary to spend so much time on this part of the course because of the amount of self-discipline and concentration that needs to be cultivated.

I am really looking forward to it, and have also signed up for a two-day supplementary course, which covers driving the wrong way down the motorway, and how to cause an accident without being directly involved in it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 09:53 PM

Re: Very Advanced Driving

Make sure you have your car with the proper signage, ie, a sticker which says “ I stop for no particular reason “ ,...
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Make sure you have your car with the proper signage, ie, a sticker which says “ I stop for no particular reason “ ,...
But, surely, giving other road users some kind of warning undermines the whole ethos of elderly driving.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 10:56 PM

Courses are not as good as about 60 years experience driving as part of a job !et a!one for pleasure covering thousands of miles
Harbal
South Yorkshire

06-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Courses are not as good as about 60 years experience driving as part of a job !et a!one for pleasure covering thousands of miles

I only have 45 years experience of driving for a living, perhaps that's why I need to go on a course.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
But, surely, giving other road users some kind of warning undermines the whole ethos of elderly driving.
Ah, but it’s the unknown, will he stop.?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 11:05 PM

I think if you don"t know how to drive now ,it"s a bit late plus it going to cost you money . I know how you Northern folk hate hate parting with thy brass .
lol,lol
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 11:05 PM

quote " the trainee is required to drive a twenty mile stretch of motorway at 30 mph in the middle lane." unquote

If that is part of the course then the instructors need to be retested.

It is an offence to be a moving obstruction on the public highway in a vehicle
Harbal
South Yorkshire

06-11-2020, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Ah, but it’s the unknown, will he stop.?
Could be a double bluff. You prepare yourself for his suddenly stopping, but then he does a completely different inexplicable manouvre, thus completely catching you out. Some of these old guys are like martial artists.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

06-11-2020, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I think if you don"t know how to drive now ,it"s a bit late
But I do know how to drive; that's the problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top