Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Re: Shiny new trade deal with USA?

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

No wonder Amazon Studios Europe chose to keep their HQ in the UK after Brexit.
https://variety.com/2020/politics/gl...al-1234822184/

But yes, the examples so far are not exactly suggestive of the EU wanting to encourage a change in stance between them & the USA.
The above is however indicative of how much UK-USA trade matters.
We already trade with the USA its businesses that we trade with not politicians. I wish remainers would get over their fear of tarrifs nobody cared about them until 2016. If tarrifs were so awful and the EU so wonderful they would have a free trade agreement between each other.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We already trade with the USA its businesses that we trade with not politicians. I wish remainers would get over their fear of tarrifs nobody cared about them until 2016. If tarrifs were so awful and the EU so wonderful they would have a free trade agreement between each other.
I have said many times that people trade with other people regardless of where you are in the world so I absolutely agree.

In these technologically-advanced days goods can cross the world with the ability to track every bit of necessary information electronically and remotely. Hence from the paperwork side, though people always grumble about paperwok, any difference is minimal. Computers handle all the hard work.

Sometimes tariffs can make a big difference - like the USA's 25% extra slap on Scottish whisky but often it's more about securing trade between countries than it is about cost.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 11:44 AM

I have said many times that people trade with other people regardless of where you are in the world so I absolutely agree.

In these technologically-advanced days goods can cross the world with the ability to track every bit of necessary information electronically and remotely. Hence from the paperwork side, though people always grumble about paperwok, any difference is minimal. Computers handle all the hard work.

Sometimes tariffs can make a big difference - like the USA's 25% extra slap on Scottish whisky but often it's more about securing trade between countries than it is about cost.
Funny thing about Scottish Whisky is that here in England, English Whisky suppliers are selling loads of it into the USA because it doesn't come under the Scottish Whisky tariffs.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Funny thing about Scottish Whisky is that here in England, English Whisky suppliers are selling loads of it into the USA because it doesn't come under the Scottish Whisky tariffs.
I saw that report & had to chuckle, I must admit.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...rder-llfrss8l8

I like whisky (but less-so recently as it doesn't like me much following surgery) & some years ago now I visited the Welsh distillery and found it to be so good I bought some bottles.

Regarding a USA trade deal though and tariffs, whisky is a good example.
Most of the cost of a bottle in UK shops according to the UK Whisky Association is tax, a whopping 72%!
Wine is not much less but varies by price and alcohol content.
So for us in the UK a few pence here & there in tariffs makes very little difference to the end cost of a bottle.
That's how for example here in the UK Jim Beam still competes on price with The Famous Grouse or Johnnie Walker despite there being no trade deal in place.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-11-2020, 12:40 PM

I saw that report & had to chuckle, I must admit.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...rder-llfrss8l8

I like whisky (but less-so recently as it doesn't like me much following surgery) & some years ago now I visited the Welsh distillery and found it to be so good I bought some bottles.

Regarding a USA trade deal though and tariffs, whisky is a good example.
Most of the cost of a bottle in UK shops according to the UK Whisky Association is tax, a whopping 72%!
Wine is not much less but varies by price and alcohol content.
So for us in the UK a few pence here & there in tariffs makes very little difference to the end cost of a bottle.
That's how for example here in the UK Jim Beam still competes on price with The Famous Grouse or Johnnie Walker despite there being no trade deal in place.
Exactly Zaphod, that's a great explanation

As far as the EU and Brexit is concerned, why is nobody talking about VAT ?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-11-2020, 01:10 PM

Exactly Zaphod, that's a great explanation

As far as the EU and Brexit is concerned, why is nobody talking about VAT ?
When I have brought that subject up to those still arguing against Brexit they go strangely silent.
Nobody talks about it because it's an area where there is clear advantage of being free of the EU - and we can't have such things in our media!
Not allowed!

Only those things showing Brexit in a negative manner can be shown in our media.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-11-2020, 01:29 PM

When I have brought that subject up to those still arguing against Brexit they go strangely silent.
Nobody talks about it because it's an area where there is clear advantage of being free of the EU - and we can't have such things in our media!
Not allowed!

Only those things showing Brexit in a negative manner can be shown in our media.
Ain't that the truth.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-11-2020, 01:37 PM

Ain't that the truth.
Example?

See if this story makes it to the BBC or the others:

Rolls-Royce to create 6,000 UK jobs to build 16 mini nuclear power stations

"The group has sealed two new agreements in the past week, with US power giant Exelon Generation and Czech Republic firm CEZ looking at how the reactors could be used in their power stations."

https://news.sky.com/story/rolls-roy...tions-12129634

"By the mid-2030s, Rolls-Royce said that another 34,000 jobs could be created through the project, mainly in high value manufacturing roles."
https://www.cityam.com/rolls-royce-m...-jobs-by-2025/
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-11-2020, 01:39 PM

Canada's Trudeau is up-beat too:
"Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday a trade agreement with Britain should be secured by the end of the year ..."
He emphasises that how soon the deal is done is up to the UK.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN27R1K8?il=0
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Canada's Trudeau is up-beat too:
"Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday a trade agreement with Britain should be secured by the end of the year ..."
He emphasises that how soon the deal is done is up to the UK.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN27R1K8?il=0
The more news like this that comes out the more it justifies the Brexiteers vote and that we knew exactly what we were voting for. Remainers on the other hand .....

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top