Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 02:27 PM

Re: Too agressive.Hi

I'm with OGF. We should have got out within a few months of the result and then negotiated a deal. Not being tied to EU rules would have allowed us to trade on WTO rules with other nations, and we wouldn't have been faced with malcontents trying to overturn the referendum result for the last four years.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm with OGF. We should have got out within a few months of the result and then negotiated a deal. Not being tied to EU rules would have allowed us to trade on WTO rules with other nations, and we wouldn't have been faced with malcontents trying to overturn the referendum result for the last four years.
I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Whether or not somebody agrees with Brexit, to ignore the stated will of the people for so long that it took a General Election over three years later to even begin the process proper is indicative of the utter disdain shown towards us ordinary people.
The attitudes of these higher echelons of our society - and the HoL are still proving this - and of EU politicians has been little short of contemptible.

Even now with Boris we remain at risk but with every passing day we are surely nearer to a decisive result.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Whether or not somebody agrees with Brexit, to ignore the stated will of the people for so long that it took a General Election over three years later to even begin the process proper is indicative of the utter disdain shown towards us ordinary people.
The attitudes of these higher echelons of our society - and the HoL are still proving this - and of EU politicians has been little short of contemptible.

Even now with Boris we remain at risk but with every passing day we are surely nearer to a decisive result.
We are on the same side l know Zaphod, but the time has come to
step out of the door and face whatever we have to face !!
If we delay till january without estabishing that what is inside our
borders is now controlled by us then we are giving consent for
another transition period??
How many transitions are required to get out of the CLUB !!
WE have wasted too much time allready to try and protect what is
after all only 12% of UKs GDP??
Our trade with the rest of the world has been subsidising our
deficits with the eu for 40 odd years !!
Time to call it a day
Our businesses that do trade with eu have had ample time to prepare
during the last 4yrs, if they havent then hard shyte!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😀😀👍👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
We are on the same side l know Zaphod, but the time has come to
step out of the door and face whatever we have to face !!
If we delay till january without estabishing that what is inside our
borders is now controlled by us then we are giving consent for
another transition period??
How many transitions are required to get out of the CLUB !!
WE have wasted too much time allready to try and protect what is
after all only 12% of UKs GDP??
Our trade with the rest of the world has been subsidising our
deficits with the eu for 40 odd years !!
Time to call it a day
Our businesses that do trade with eu have had ample time to prepare
during the last 4yrs, if they havent then hard shyte!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😀😀👍👍
I must agree, but that so far is not happening and - despite what we want - there is no way to force action.

We can only hope that a firm decision is made soon and - despite the recent furore - it does at least seem that Boris will stick to his guns.

My fingers are crossed.
Firmly.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:17 AM

Hopefully, we should have a decision by Friday 20th Nov, that is, unless they move the goalposts again!!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hopefully, we should have a decision by Friday 20th Nov, that is, unless they move the goalposts again!!
I smell a rat, Shroppy.

A big fat one ...
Zaphod
Lincs UK

16-11-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I smell a rat, Shroppy.

A big fat one ...
Nah.
I doubt it.

This has come from from the PM's office this morning:
"The Prime Minister has been clear that we will not accept any proposals in the negotiations that undermine our status as a sovereign, independent country and if the EU don’t respect the sovereignty of the UK we will leave on Australian terms and the Prime Minister is confident that we will prosper"

See what Hancock and Frost have said in the past day too.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Nah.
I doubt it.

This has come from from the PM's office this morning:
"The Prime Minister has been clear that we will not accept any proposals in the negotiations that undermine our status as a sovereign, independent country and if the EU don’t respect the sovereignty of the UK we will leave on Australian terms and the Prime Minister is confident that we will prosper"

See what Hancock and Frost have said in the past day too.

Well, I'm keeping the faith, so we will see what happens later in the week.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 01:48 PM

As I see it....

Cameron never expected us to vote "leave", so did nothing to plan for the future.

Theresa May saw being PM as a good step in her career, but she didn't want to leave so had no hope of full backing.

Boris seemed to know what the people wanted so, although he is a bit of a buffoon, he is trying to give the people what they want!

The EU never expected any country to leave, so are making everything difficult in case other countries want to follow our example.

I don't think that, if we leave with a deal or not, life will be easy for a few years, but we will be in charge of our own country, with our own rules & try to do what is best for the UK!
I sincerely hope that every person, who lives here, will try to do their best to help us become a country to be proud of....but it is going to mean a lot of hard work!
Zaphod
Lincs UK

16-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
As I see it....

Cameron never expected us to vote "leave", so did nothing to plan for the future.

Theresa May saw being PM as a good step in her career, but she didn't want to leave so had no hope of full backing.

Boris seemed to know what the people wanted so, although he is a bit of a buffoon, he is trying to give the people what they want!

The EU never expected any country to leave, so are making everything difficult in case other countries want to follow our example.

I don't think that, if we leave with a deal or not, life will be easy for a few years, but we will be in charge of our own country, with our own rules & try to do what is best for the UK!
I sincerely hope that every person, who lives here, will try to do their best to help us become a country to be proud of....but it is going to mean a lot of hard work!

A few things to add, if I may?

First, Covid has caused far more damage than any Brexit ever could. In fact it had always been my assertion that oil prices had more of an impact on our economy than Brexit was ever likely to, but then along came covid and it proved the point - not that I or anybody wanted that to happen in quite such a horrendous manner, but there we are.

Second, any "damage" from lack of a deal on the part of the EU leaves them wide-open to being sued for damages - if imports are blocked for any length of time within the EU or if we see the EU try to use power imports as a weapon, for example.

Thirdly I think that potential damage has been vastly exaggerated.
Sure the EU will try to coerce & even bully about some things, but see above #2.
If the EU plays hardball, it's a two-way street - and they have a £90 billion surplus every single year in trade with the UK to consider where they are stuck with EU rules but we are not; we can buy and sell wherever we want.
But people buy and sell, not countries or unions.
Despite tariffs our single biggest trading partner is the USA - without any trade deal.

Tariffs and preferential trade deals might help, but in the great scheme of things they often do not make much of a difference to the end price as an earlier example I gave involving whisky admirably demonstrated (that's why USA bourbon whisky can compete on price in our supermarkets with Scottish whisky).

As for evey person pulling together: I'm sure that most do.
Despite the blatant pro-EU and sometimes anti-British stuff we see in forums and in our media, I'm pretty sure that nobody does their job of work and tries to actively sabotage whatever they do either to prove a point or for any other reason. Well, apart from journo's maybe.

No, the rants and moaning seen in forums etc. is just the last remaining whingers having yet another tantrum, so hopefully most of these will be finished when we do finally leave or soon thereafter.
Which leaves just the media, and how long they will keep up their stance for is anybody's guess.
They are still trying now despite it often being blatantly obvious that they are opinionising rather than reporting, but surely it must end at some time?

If the media supported the country - and what the country has twice asked for - we might actually see more reason for the country to again become proud.
We do after all have much to be proud of, despite the constant haranguing of naysayers and media.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top