Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 05:03 PM

Re: Electric cars by 2030

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Same here. I currently park my car in a car park but as yet there are no charging points. As with all government schemes, it is ill thought out.

It might work for the more privileged ones with their own private space for multiple chargers for Mum/Dad/Kids, but I can't see it working otherwise.
Neither could we can't be expected to leave our cars unattended all night on public chargers, that would be a new pastime for those with criminal minds surely.

And what about all the extra load on electricity supplies? What about when we get power cuts in winters?
They are always telling us ways of saving energy as it is, then in the next breath we are to believe we will have unlimited supplies after all.

I for one, couldn't possibly afford (or want) and electric car. They were saying on the radio this morning they will start at around £30,000 !! They then went on to attempt to pacify the broadcaster by saying - "Ah, but it will be cheaper in the long run by saving on fuel."

I also strongly object to being forced to have I car I don't want, or go without one altogether.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]

It might work for the more privileged ones with their own private space for multiple chargers for Mum/Dad/Kids, but I can't see it working otherwise.
Neither could we can't be expected to leave our cars unattended all night on public chargers, that would be a new pastime for those with criminal minds surely.

And what about all the extra load on electricity supplies? What about when we get power cuts in winters?
They are always telling us ways of saving energy as it is, then in the next breath we are to believe we will have unlimited supplies after all.

I for one, couldn't possibly afford (or want) and electric car. They were saying on the radio this morning they will start at around £30,000 !! They then went on to attempt to pacify the broadcaster by saying - "Ah, but it will be cheaper in the long run by saving on fuel."

I also strongly object to being forced to have I car I don't want, or go without one altogether.
There's no way we will cope with it. What about lorries, buses coaches?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 06:48 PM

Ah! Excellent!
I wasn't aware that electricity for charging cars would be free.
In that case I might get one then.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There's no way we will cope with it. What about lorries, buses coaches?

They are just catering for the younger generation IMO, and those with jobs that pay well.
Us old fogeys on penions won't be able to afford these things so easily.

Just another thing I've thought of - what would it cost to have a charging point put in at home, and can any electrician to it?
Where's that Judd gone when we need him?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 06:54 PM

[/B]

Valid points if I may say so. Roughly, your domestic energy will be doubled if you go for an EV. That's domestic. Never mind the HV lines.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-11-2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Valid points if I may say so. Roughly, your domestic energy will be doubled if you go for an EV. That's domestic. Never mind the HV lines.

Besoeker, would you kindly explain () what EV and HV lines are please, as many - like myself - haven't a clue what you mean.
Ta muchly.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 07:11 PM

Besoeker, would you kindly explain () what EV and HV lines are please, as many - like myself - haven't a clue what you mean.
Ta muchly.
I'll try my best.......
EV is an electric vehicle. A car or SUV for example.
Local voltages here (UK) are 230V. (230 Volts) Your house is 230Vac.
High voltage is usually 11,000V or upwards like 132,000 V
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-11-2020, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'll try my best.......
EV is an electric vehicle. A car or SUV for example.
Local voltages here (UK) are 230V. (230 Volts) Your house is 230Vac.
High voltage is usually 11,000V or upwards like 132,000 V

Thankyou.
So in other words, EV = electric vehicle
and HV = high voltage.

Seems to me that what they keep saying we will save in petrol, will just transfer to our electric bills instead then!

And like I asked earlier, can any electrician install these charging points I wonder, or will it be your electricity suppliers even?

Can all this mammoth demand for more and more electricty be met?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 08:48 PM

Just when you thought it was safe to drive on the road without potholes, along comes Electric Vehicles and roadworks to put in all the extra cables.... Not to mention all the substations that are going to need substantial modifications.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I remember a time when only rich people owned a car. Maybe that's the goal for the future.

One thing's for sure. By the time this could affect me personally, I won't be driving a car any more.
Same here Mart, I reckon I will be able to run a diesel for as long as I need to. Not much to look forward to for the younger generation though.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top