Join for free
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

21-05-2011, 11:33 PM

Spanish Riots !

Spain: Protesters defy ban with anti-government rallies .........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13481592

I wonder why we are not hearing or seeing this on the News on TV ?

HHHmmmmmmm .....
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2011, 11:40 PM

Re: Spanish Riots !

It was on Channel 4 at 6.30pm. Apparently, Spain has 45% youth unemployment, which is double the UK's, which in its self is bad enough. God knows where all this is leading to for the future of the world in general.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

21-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
It was on Channel 4 at 6.30pm. Apparently, Spain has 45% youth unemployment, which is double the UK's, which in its self is bad enough. God knows where all this is leading to for the future of the world in general.

Oh thank you , I never saw that John .......... I was beginning to think there was some kinda ban ( media silence ) on reporting it .

Maybe RockRider can give us some more details , eh
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2011, 12:05 AM

Sorry to see that. We hosted a teen from Spain in 2006 and enjoyed her company very much. We are still in touch so I think I'll email her tonight...
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2011, 08:05 AM

No idea why it's not being reported in the UK. Can only assume that it's not violent enough, it appears to be all very layed back and peaceful, from what I'm reading (on the BBC website).

It seems to be mainly in the north, I think they are too bone idle down here to bother.

In Andalucia (where I live) you wouldn't know there was a recession, and it was stated recently in the press that there are €995m worth of taxes not being collected, because of the 'black economy' here, everyone works for cash where possible. I have heard the even large employers pay a certain amount of wages in cash, so a to avoid the ridiculously high social security and tax.
Another problem (which sparked protests a few months ago) is the crazy employment laws, if someone is on a contract, it becomes virtually impossible to get rid of them. This is a major reason why customer service is non-existent and productivity so low (20% lower than most of the rest of Europe).
Also, we have found the Spanish to be quite selfish and not really too interested in anything that doesn't affect them directly.

We shall see what happens today, I think the present lot will get a hammering, but whether it will make a difference remains to be seen. In Spain, politics are very political, and it is said that we have the best politicians that money can buy!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top