Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2011, 12:46 AM

Panorama - Undercover Care: The Abuse Exposed

Did anyone watch it?

In a special edition of Panorama, Paul Kenyon exposes the truth about a gang of carers out of control, and learns how the care system ignored all the warning signs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Abuse_Exposed/

Made me so angry why the heck didn't anyone intervene? As far as I'm concerned those standing idly by are just as bad.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Re: Panorama - Undercover Care: The Abuse Exposed

It makes my blood boil, if this has been highlighted how many more old peoples homes, and facilities of this kind is there were this is allowed to happen because no one wants to lose their jobs if they speak out.
There are a lot of dedicated carers out there who will be tarnished with this report.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2011, 12:29 PM

The great problem is that all care homes are tarred with the same brush in the eyes of the public. The people who carry out these awful acts of bullying are rare withinn the care industry and are a symptom of poor management, but where the perpetrators are found they need prosecuting and punishing with the full force of the law to deter others.....
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

02-06-2011, 03:03 PM

I felt sick when I saw this on the news
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2011, 06:14 PM

No procecution is too soft, bring back Hanging say I, or even better shoot the perpetrators.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2011, 08:25 PM

I watched the whole programme, those employees (I cannot call them carers) were sadistic swines. I got the impression that they got up in the morning looking forward to inflicting as much torture they thought they could get away with. They did get away with it for god knows how long! If this is a snapshot of one employee's (the investigator's) filming during just his shift over five weeks I am certain that worse happened that we will never know about. Simon and Simone will be in my mind for a very long time.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

02-06-2011, 09:02 PM

It was a truly horrific programme that I found at first hard to believe was being perpetrated in our country.

It is to be hoped that everyone involved in the systematic abuse and torture of those poor people faces the full rigours of the law and that should also include the managers who must have been complicit in the whole culture.
Given the way our system operates these days I am not over hopeful that they will be punished correctly.

I would also hope that this is a one off but I guess that is naivety on my part and sadly I think more will be exposed.

It was somewhat disturbing to hear the frankly pathetically lame Ian Biggs the regional director of the Care Quality Commission ( CQC ) for the southwest, on the programme. He said an opportunity to prevent abuse was missed when Mr Bryan's complaints were not investigated.

The CQC have since said in a statement: 'We apologise to those who have been let down by our failure to act more swiftly to address the appalling treatment that people at this hospital were subjected to.'

It continued: 'We recognise that, had we contacted the whistleblower ourselves directly after we received the email, we would have been alerted to the seriousness of the situation and moved swiftly to inspect the hospital.'

I am sure that will go a long way in reassuring everyone.

It seems to this lay person that the CQC has already got form in being less than fit for purpose.

Back in 2009 Cynthia Bower the Chief Executive of the CQC was asked to comment on another BBC Panorama damning documentary for the lack of care of the elderly, she said then " The treatment that appears to have been received by the people who are featured in the Panorama programme is very disturbing and of great concern to the CQC,as the new regulator of adult social care services".

Little it seems has changed, especially as now it is said that Adult care providers have seen a 70% drop in inspections by the CQC in the past year, which will no doubt prompt more fears for the welfare of our folks.

Astonishing when their own website will proudly tell us all that,

"The essential standards of quality and safety you can expect".

"There is a new law about regulating health and adult social care in England. From 1 October 2010, every health and adult social care service in England is legally responsible for making sure it meets new essential standards of quality and safety.
As a result of this change in legislation, we are moving from periodic assessments and quality ratings to a system of continuous monitoring of compliance with the essential standards".

Clearly a root and branch enquiry into the whole industry is needed and it strikes me that this commission would be a good place to start.

If as I suspect lack of funds may be cited as the real cause of the crimes against our folks who need a hand most, I would suggest a rational approach to our Overseas Aid budget and other preferential, nay, lucrative terms offered our illegal immigrant community be a good place to start.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2011, 03:15 PM

That is why I dont want to have to go into a Home. There are awful things happening to the elderly in these homes, its very frightening.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
That is why I dont want to have to go into a Home. There are awful things happening to the elderly in these homes, its very frightening.
Annie, thankfully there are said to be a lot of good ones amongst the bad it is just a question of finding them.

The more one hears of the problems the more worried one gets. We just have to hope that someone can get the situation sorted out rather than keep papering the cracks over.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2011, 04:58 PM

If the Government of the day hadn't been so hellbent on turning long-term care of the elderly (and other vulnerable groups) over to the private sector, I think care standards would have been a great deal safer and higher than they are today. I think I may have said it before, but there is nothing that the private sector can do better than the public sector. We now have the sorry state where folks who saw an opportunity and got rich from jumping onto the elderly care and nursing home gravytrain at a time when grants and funds were scattered around like confetti, are now abandoning ship having made their fortunes. Many properties they received Government grants to develop have been sold off for profit and they are renting them (as revealed recently with one large provider of care) and the folks who have paid through the nose for their care - with contributions from taxpayers - are finding themselves vulnerable and unsecure. There will be other providers who will soon follow I am sure. All in all, I believe there is an avalanche of nursing home providers about to do the same and as per usual the taxpayer will be the one to count the cost, either by propping them up or moving the homes back into public sector care. (I sincerely hope the latter is what will happen). Sorry for the rant folks - rant over

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top