Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

21-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Re: What's wrong with the world?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Nice to see you back AB.
Oh dear - this World all sounds very dismal.
I was a flowerpower child and I certainly wasn't disembowelled, quite the opposite. I enjoyed that time and it shaped my outlook for the rest of my life to date. Women became the better for becoming fully emancipated - free to make their own decisions, earn their own livings and to be fully valued in society just as much as the men (some men might say otherwise, but I'm a woman and I know).
I don't think wars solve very much and they mean great cost and suffering - True it has the effect of thinning out the population, but we now have "the pill". Do we still need thinning out by going to war with each other? I wouldn't like to think of another big war - little wars are bad enough.
All in all, I think that, on balance, the post war people who are now in their pension years have had the best of times.
I hope there is enough sense in the world so that our children and their children can enjoy similar. This recession will end. There will always be something to worry about, some things more serious than others, but people will adapt (I hope) - that's life and its too short to worry too much - Tempus Fugit and all that.
Aerolor, apologies for the lateness but I have only just seen this. Thank you for a very perceptive post, it made a lot of sense to me.

From what I remember of the last World War I would agree they do not solve very much.

In our case the bombsites made an epic adventure playground and I don't think we realised what danger we were in, if we had, it probably would have made no difference even when the Luftwaffe tried a 60 second makeover on our house.
Ma said at the time it was hard to see the new damage as the place had been condemmed for years before the bombing started.

The reality of suddenly being face to face with a giant of a man in a uniform and people telling me this was my dad got my attention though.

I got the chance to get to know my old man but very many did not including my many cousins.
I suppose any new World War would wipe us all from the face of the planet so that situation would not arise again.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Aerolor, apologies for the lateness but I have only just seen this. Thank you for a very perceptive post, it made a lot of sense to me.

From what I remember of the last World War I would agree they do not solve very much.

In our case the bombsites made an epic adventure playground and I don't think we realised what danger we were in, if we had, it probably would have made no difference even when the Luftwaffe tried a 60 second makeover on our house.
Ma said at the time it was hard to see the new damage as the place had been condemmed for years before the bombing started.

The reality of suddenly being face to face with a giant of a man in a uniform and people telling me this was my dad got my attention though.

I got the chance to get to know my old man but very many did not including my many cousins.
I suppose any new World War would wipe us all from the face of the planet so that situation would not arise again.
I was born into post WWII London and lived there on Electric Avenue in Brixton, communally with all my dad's family, until I was about ten. My dad was a POW for 4 years, in the camps in Poland and later Germany. The inhumanity and suffering and living in fear affected him for the rest of his life in terms of his health and philosophy. Jobs were hard to find, his career had been cut short by the war and almost everyone's lives had to be re-built. My grandparents house was flattened (no insurance to pay for another one) and Londoners had rationing for many years after the war had ended. Many decades have passed now and following generations have experienced nothing like it on their home ground. People have become complacent and grumble about their lives now, but in reality we are living in the good times these days, in spite of the recession.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm afraid I could trot out many answers to what is happening to our world today but with what effect? I have just watched the news where yet another child has been let down by 'the system' - whatever that is?! I feel only despair for future generations.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top