Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Indoctrination

I watched some of the news about the Teachers strike and saw young children carrying placards, one which said 'Save my Mums Pension'.

Surely this was not done by the child and I do not think that most of the very young children would want to be walking on a protest march, I imagine that they would sooner be at home playing with their toys etc.

This in my opinion is 'Indoctrination ' of the worse kind. To teach your child to march on protests before they know about life as a child is very wrong.

I am afraid to say though that this is what some teachers are all about, not teaching the three R's but teaching Anarchy.
I have no sympathy for them just their kids who are missing out on a real life as a child.

Your views are:-
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Re: Indoctrination

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I watched some of the news about the Teachers strike and saw young children carrying placards, one which said 'Save my Mums Pension'.

:-
AB that sounds like a bit of propaganda manufactured specifically for the camera .

I agree the teachers should be setting a good example to the children not just teaching them 'me me first ' but having consideration for others like the children and parents who suddenly find schools closed this week .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 09:21 AM

I agree Antibrown it is wrong, when children don't really understand. It sounds similar to how Jehovah's Witnesses bring round their children to help further their cause and they shouldn't do it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 10:14 AM

I agree it seems really wrong, but where does indoctrination begin and end? If we are catholic or muslim then we indoctrinate our children to be the same. Do we support West Ham or Manchester United? bet your life your sons will support the same team. Think about the hatred that still exists in Northern Ireland, it is all down to the way that the children are indoctrinated to hate the same things, regardless of the reasoning. Luckily some of the indoctrinated will have the strength of mind to change paths later on, but really we are all guilty to an extent....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Barry, this is a different kind of indoctrination, this is teaching them that it is right to be an anrchist and that the government is there to defy.

What you are saying is all about choice and support for individual pastime subjects, sport religion etc this is a way of life that they are teaching their kids. Ok that is their choice and opinion which they have every right to but is it not the slippery slope to oblivion?

Just one point,
We never told our children what to do from the age of five, they were given options and advice but THEY made the decision what to do and had to live by that decision.

They have told us often how much they learnt from that and how it has made them view things from an 'outside of the window' point, before making decisions.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 06:16 PM

I am sure Barry will be along soon, but here is my opinion in the meantime.

The populations of all countries must challenge Governments - they have a duty to do it and if that is being defiant and being an anarchist then sobeit.
What is wrong is to use innocent children (like the teacher on strike did) as a tool to further a cause, argument, or religion. That sort of indoctrination is manipulative and she exploits her own child. Parents can show children, but they should not get them involved in things they do not fully understand; the parents using them to aid their personal battles or beliefs.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Just to clarify my point, I abhor the way that children are used as cannon fodder in political struggles, but it really is a fine line that lays between education and indoctrination.

What makes this case worse is that it was organised by purportedly highly educated people. Having said that, however, they can't be that highly educated if they can't work out the basic maths regarding the unsustainability of their pension plans....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

01-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Aerolor, I am not saying that Governments should not be challenged, I am saying what you say, children shoiuld not be used as a tool for gains in politics.

We are supposed to educate our children in the way that creates a loving and peaceful society where people help one another, not in the way anarchist want the world to be.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-07-2011, 11:11 PM

Probably straying off topic a little here and not much interest to anyone but for what it is worth, I agree the use of children in those circumstances is to be deplored.

However, what I personally find more repugnant and deeply disturbing is the practice of a religious society, namely the Jehovah's Witnesses, to school very, very young children to recite verbatim, passages from their Bible.
As soon as one opens the door to these innocents the spiel starts. They cannot possibly have any idea what they are saying or its implications.

The kids are used purely to propagate the sect's beliefs, whilst the adults who accompany them stand discretely to one side. The only answer I have ever gotten from those directing the performances was that, "our children are taught the way from day one and no other path will do".

Let me say at once that I have no knowledge if it is common practice but it most certainly is in this little corner of the world. To me that is more worrying than a youngster having a day out with a parent and waving a placard.

I would think having a walk round in the fresh air was a treat for most of them.

As far as supporting a football team is concerned, probably the common touch shining through but I can tell you for certain it was treated as a serious business in our little world. We all supported different clubs and that caused a few rucks I can tell you.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2011, 03:42 PM

I think it depends if you were at a church school, regarding reciting the scriptures and I also think there is no harm in this. There were rules you had to abide by and you knew where you were.A sort of safe feeling for a child, wether Catholic or Protestant.
As for the football team well my Dad was a city supporter and I was a Manu.... so plenry of discussions there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top