Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 11:01 PM

Brinkmanship

Is Brinkmanship alive and kicking on forums?.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Re: Brinkmanship

I think most folk either give up or agree to disagree but there're always those who resort to name-calling and personal insults when they fail to convert others to their way of thinking which usually results in suspension or banning so sometimes yes, it happens
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 08:14 AM

I thought brinkmanship meant the escalation of threats to get what you want, if that is what it means no I don't think that happens on forums - anyone issuing threats on almost any forum would be stopped by the mods surely ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I thought brinkmanship meant the escalation of threats to get what you want, if that is what it means no I don't think that happens on forums - anyone issuing threats on almost any forum would be stopped by the mods surely ?
Nothing that extreme, just meant lots of folks hovering in the periphery, waiting to see who comments first.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 09:44 AM

If relating the word brinkmanship to this forum, from recent observations of some of the threads at the moment I think - yes brinkmanship may be alive and kicking Spitfire.

The meaning of brinkmanship in the Merriam Webster dictionary says - "the art or practice of pushing a dangerous situation or confrontation to the limit of safety especially to force a desired outcome". I think there is quite a bit of "political push and shove" going on at the moment and a few are bleating along like sheep (or goats) - the desired outcome ???? Doubt it will end in WWIII though In my opinion and from observation the manipulating "politicians" are infantile and weak in leadership.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
If relating the word brinkmanship to this forum, from recent observations of some of the threads at the moment I think - yes brinkmanship may be alive and kicking Spitfire.

The meaning of brinkmanship in the Merriam Webster dictionary says - "the art or practice of pushing a dangerous situation or confrontation to the limit of safety especially to force a desired outcome". I think there is quite a bit of "political push and shove" going on at the moment and a few are bleating along like sheep (or goats) - the desired outcome ???? Doubt it will end in WWIII though In my opinion and from observation the manipulating "politicians" are infantile and weak in leadership.
Brinkmanship is ok for some I guess as long as they don't get too close to the 'brink' because if they do they might just fall over the edge into an abyss

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top