Join for free
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 09:50 AM

Organ Donation NHS Scotland

I got a letter in saying the laws on organ donation in Scotland were changing. Now we have to opt out of donating tissue or organs, and if we don't, it is assumed we are happy to give everything we have. Fine - I don't mind being harvested AFTER I die......

......But

The blurb goes on to say that medical procedures and tests will be carried out prior to your death if your family think that's what you wanted. You are automatically assumed to have agreed to this by not opting out of the donating part.

This bit makes me uncomfortable. Any thoughts? (I am aware organ donation is a private matter between you and your family, and I'm not asking you to disclose anything so personal. I'm just questioning the morality of the automatic assumption of many things)
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 09:54 AM

Re: Organ Donation NHS Scotland

Hi pixie I think ( but may be mistaken ) that the law is or has changed in England too I seem to recall ticking a box when I renewed my driving license .

I dont know who decided they could take what they want at point of death but someone did .

To be honest I said they could but maybe they wouldn't want a 70 plus year old body parts but if it helps someone I dont mind
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 10:15 AM

Yes, exactly! I don't mind who gets what when I am dead. But I'm not a fan of being tested on and having procedures done on me, while still alive! Who gets to decide when that point is reached? Will they just "assume" someone won't survive, because they have a healthy liver that can be given to someone? Its all a bit weird - yet I don't want to opt out because I would like to help someone if I could.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yes, exactly! I don't mind who gets what when I am dead. But I'm not a fan of being tested on and having procedures done on me, while still alive! Who gets to decide when that point is reached? Will they just "assume" someone won't survive, because they have a healthy liver that can be given to someone? Its all a bit weird - yet I don't want to opt out because I would like to help someone if I could.

Too right, Pixie, I feel the same as you.
Like Susan said, it's the same here.

Anyway, if someone does decide to 'opt out' how do we do that, does anyone know?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

24-02-2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Anyway, if someone does decide to 'opt out' how do we do that, does anyone know?
The leaflet I have, gives a site to log onto where you can register, and record your wishes. They advise you not to include it in your will, because obviously they get read after you die. Its best to tell your family in writing, I suppose. So there does seem to be a place to say what you want. I haven't looked at it properly yet - just got it this morning. I want to know if you can choose to donate, but NOT be tested on while alive. Is that just being pernickity? I think not.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 03:57 PM

The only procedures I am aware of that are done before an organ transplant are to type the blood, do blood tests, and conduct EEGs to make sure that the person is clinically brain dead.

All of those would be included in most life-saving situations, but I can see why both would need to be done beforehand If I had brain trauma that didn't result in bleeding, I would sure be ok with them testing my blood type since minutes count, and I would definitely want an EEG to ensure that I was too far gone to save.

If they can make use of it, they can have it as far as I'm concerned .
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The only procedures I am aware of that are done before an organ transplant are to type the blood, do blood tests, and conduct EEGs to make sure that the person is clinically brain dead.

All of those would be included in most life-saving situations, but I can see why both would need to be done beforehand If I had brain trauma that didn't result in bleeding, I would sure be ok with them testing my blood type since minutes count, and I would definitely want an EEG to ensure that I was too far gone to save.

If they can make use of it, they can have it as far as I'm concerned .
Ditto. They can have anything except my eyes (I'm squeamish about eyes). Val's already aware of my decision.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top