Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:30 PM

Re: Why do people believe in gods?

Originally Posted by Graham ->
This gets said a lot. Can you prove the non-existence of Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, Burrowing Spider Frogs on Mars? When you can prove any of these do not exist, I will at the same time have proven your god does not exist.

It is nonsensical to validate the existence of something by saying it cannot be proven not to exist.
Absolutely.
I have fairies at the bottom of my garden and I challenge anyone to disprove their existence.
I ought to add that they are only visible to me and a select few who they have befriended.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I agree, however that is exactly the same thought process used by Atheists to justify their belief.

You either believe or you don't.

We rubbish now those primitives, as we call them, who worshipped the Sun as a God.

The Sun was their Creator.

Technically they are correct, without the Sun humans would not exist.

Atheists are constantly declaring that they are correct and that they are intellectually superior to those who believe in a God.

That is patently wrong, in the same way that it is equally as wrong for those who believe in a God to claim that they are intellectually superior.

You either believe or you don't.
Reasonable and well stated post
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
For me that is what makes the universe and everything in it so wonderful - the fact that the whole thing is an amazing cosmic accident/coincidence. I absolutely love that ....

Of course there are things we will never know about the why and wherefores of our universe and reality itself, but we are so insignificant in the scale of things that such considerations are pointless. To make up "god" stories to mask our lack of knowledge with a false veneer of certainty is basically childish.
Yes, and I can't imagine it was all created by an old man with a white beard.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Monotheism is the problem. Lots of gods fight amonst themselves and don't bother us.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Some of them take sides with human favourites though and involve us all in their quarrels so you can't rely on them.

Plenty of wars before the "one god" thing got started.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 07:25 PM

More reason to ditch the lot of them! A plague on all their houses.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 08:03 PM

Talking about the existence of a God or Gods has been going on since the year dot, yet more people believe in a God than do not, even today. You could talk about it till the cows come home and still never know the answer, only way to find out for sure is when you kick the bucket and a bit of insurance can’t be a bad thing can it?
It reminds me of the old Celtic tale about the Ant on the Elks nose, the Elk is very proud of his antlers and thinks the Ant is there to admire them, then he tells the Ant that he has a beautiful tail too, the Ant tells the Elk that he can’t see his tail so therefore he hasn’t got one, the Elk looks back as far as his neck allows and he can’t see the tail either, so he then assumes that he has no tail and never had in the first place.
Seeing is believing? actually our inadequate eyes see very little of what’s all around us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Talking about the existence of a God or Gods has been going on since the year dot, yet more people believe in a God than do not, even today.
You're probably correct, and I do not have any figures to prove otherwise. However, it is my supposition that the majority of such people are from third world countries and that if you were to consider those people in 'developed' (first world) countries alone, the proportions would be quite different.

Personally, as a born again atheist, I hold in the highest regard the people of the Czech Republic where, I believe, the majority are also atheists.

I believe that, as the world progresses, eventually there will be no 'gods' and people everywhere will be able to stand on their own two feet and take full responsibility for their actions without the need to apportion blame on a hypothetical supernatural being.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top