Join for free
Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Re: Windows 10

I have just compleated the factory restore, and back to W8.
The first message hat came was, " you can now upgrade to Windows 10" .
Yea right.
Thanks again Mart.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 02:26 PM

Well done Emjay.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Bring back DOS
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Hello well I also do not enthuse over Windows 10. The new Start Menu is useful but a lot of the rest is tosh. I also suffered from a disaster when I tried to install Windows 10 to this desktop ( which has a lot of complicated software running on it ) in the early days and it became totally non functional with a flashing screen and I had to go to the PC Vendor's Telephone helpline who were helpful and took me through the process for reverting to Win 8.1. I am obviously reluctant to reinstall it in spite of the daily adverts!

I do use Windows 10 on my new notebook PC though I opted out of a lot of the features. I loathe the new " Edge " browser, which I read has bombed in the market, as it lacks many of the basic features including " Save As " for saving a webpage. When I am on that one I use the option to get Internet Explorer in instead but how long will that be possible? I also turn off the Touchpad via Control Panel but that is another issue.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Hello well I also do not enthuse over Windows 10. The new Start Menu is useful but a lot of the rest is tosh. I also suffered from a disaster when I tried to install Windows 10 to this desktop ( which has a lot of complicated software running on it ) in the early days and it became totally non functional with a flashing screen and I had to go to the PC Vendor's Telephone helpline who were helpful and took me through the process for reverting to Win 8.1. I am obviously reluctant to reinstall it in spite of the daily adverts!

I do use Windows 10 on my new notebook PC though I opted out of a lot of the features. I loathe the new " Edge " browser, which I read has bombed in the market, as it lacks many of the basic features including " Save As " for saving a webpage. When I am on that one I use the option to get Internet Explorer in instead but how long will that be possible? I also turn off the Touchpad via Control Panel but that is another issue.
Hi, do you still get a sign in screen on start up? I tried to disable this on my sister's new laptop, but it won't work. Control Panel shows her as password protected.

Getting this laptop up and running was my first experience with W10. As a relative novice herself she probably doesn't care what OS she uses, providing she can get oline. However, she still doesn't know her FB email address or password.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 10:47 PM

I can't help with the FaceBook and e-mail password but starting Windows 10 without the login password should be possible. Do this:

* Right-click on the Windows logo at the left of the Taskbar.
* Select 'Run'.
* In the box that opens type 'netplwiz' and press Enter.
* In the User Accounts window that opens, select the account name.
* Untick the box that says 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'.
* Click 'Apply'.
* A box will appear asking for the password.
* Type in the login password.
* Confirm the password in the same box.
* Click 'OK'.
* Restart the computer and it should come straight on without requiring a password.

The above steps are shown with pictures here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-...automatically/
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can't help with the FaceBook and e-mail password but starting Windows 10 without the login password should be possible. Do this:

* Right-click on the Windows logo at the left of the Taskbar.
* Select 'Run'.
* In the box that opens type 'netplwiz' and press Enter.
* In the User Accounts window that opens, select the account name.
* Untick the box that says 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'.
* Click 'Apply'.
* A box will appear asking for the password.
* Type in the login password.
* Confirm the password in the same box.
* Click 'OK'.
* Restart the computer and it should come straight on without requiring a password.

The above steps are shown with pictures here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-...automatically/
Tried that! Didn't work.

Thanks mart. I Googled the solution on my phone while at my sister's on Sunday but time was getting on and I had to leave it and come home.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Did the procedure appear to work OK right up until the time it was obvious that it hadn't? 'Password' and 'Confirm Password' stage accepted? (then 'Apply').

It could be worth trying the procedure again, I suppose something that could be re-checked is that the right account name was selected (was there more than one?).

There is a Registry way of doing it too but all the usual cautions about editing the Registry apply. The procedure is described here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...0-startup.html

The 'netplwiz' method described above has always worked for me, so I hope it can be got to work rather than having to go into the Registry.

It is possible to log in using a picture or a pin number if the login problem can't be overcome. Not a cure but a lot quicker than having to type in a long password.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

04-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Yes I use the PIN login on my new PC. I will have to wait till sis says I can go over there again.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 11:42 PM

Microsoft launches Windows 10, Version 1511, build 10586.

This is the BIG ONE! It took 2 HOURS to complete on my laptop (hopefully half that time on my desktop).

As yet, details of the contents are sketchy.

Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top