Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 10:59 PM

Hitch hikers

Would you, or have you, ever stopped to pick up a hitchhiker?
Or have you ever been the hitch hiker yourself in the past?

I wouldn't dare stop for someone, male or female. I have read tales about women standing looking bewildered with the bonnet of their broken down car propped up, but when some poor sucker stops to help this damsel in distress, a couple of burly blokes burst out of the bushes and pinch his car.

Likewise, I wouldn't thumb a lift either. I'd be too nervous of who I was getting in the car/lorry with. Yet some youngsters go all round the globe thumbing!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 11:30 PM

Re: Hitch hikers

I have thumbed lifts many years ago, without problems. Very foolish I know but only with hindsight.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 11:43 PM

My husband used to many years ago when he was commuting back and fore to Manchester from South Wales. It was nice to have company on a long journey.You don't see many people hitch hiking these days. I have never done it and I don't know anyone who would now. Far too risky these days.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 11:52 PM

Yes I agree with Celyn.
Far too risky to even think about picking a hitch hiker up nowadays.
This is a shame, but it is a sign of the times i'me afraid.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 05:15 AM

I once stopped and picked up a chap who I had mistaken for someone I knew. He told me he had just been released from prison and the previous night he had got blind drunk and had sex with " a man or woman or animal" he didn't know which. Needless to say I was glad when I had dropped him off.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 06:07 AM

When I lived out in the sticks where busses came once in a blue moon people often thumbed lifts while standing at the busstop and yes Ive stopped for people.. From schoolkids trying to get secondary school to old ladies just trying to get to the nearest town and I never had any problems with any of them.

Never done it myself though..
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:21 AM

Back in the '60's I hitch-hiked all the time. The longest ride I ever got was all the way from London to St Ives in Cornwall back in 1964. It was all very innocent in those days - cheap transport and interesting conversations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:02 AM

Over the years we have picked up a few people but only together we wouldn't do it alone. My husband hitched to Wales once but I have never done it myself.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:54 AM

In the autumn of 1953 during my National Service I was stationed in Orsett in Essex. The nearest railway station was in Grays, some considerable distance away. The bus service was very infrequent. When on weekend leave it was quite normal to hitch a lift into Grays. There was always a lift available. I suppose being in uniform the motorists gave me a lift out of patriotic duty.

A very different time.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 10:30 AM

I have never hitch hiked, I was warned frequently as I was growing up never to do so. The only people I have ever stopped for or given lifts to are people I know. These days it isnīt even safe to stop and help anyone who appears to be in trouble, sad but true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top