Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Re: Marriage Vows

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
You 'know' better now gal - we all learn ....
We do - I think like everything else, it suits some and not others; we're all different!
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

30-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am not sure I 'took vows' as such having been married in a registry office .

We were already living together (shock horror in those days) and I saw no reason to get married, I didn't need a bit of paper to state my commitment to my chosen mate.

My word was my bond and so was his. I would have stayed faithful to him for the rest of my life and indeed I have done so since he died almost 30 years ago. He was the love of my life, the father of my child, funny, super intelligent and for me no other man could hope to match him in any way.
couldn't get a better deal than that - the marriage vows I believe have always been a 'church' invented affair [sure BV will tell us why] the bible from which they supposedly came simple says - and a man will leave his mother and father to become one with his woman - or words to that effect - so if there ever was a case of living in sin then it came from the bible!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
[sure BV will tell us why]
I certainly could tell you why and how but .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:00 PM

We didn't live together before marriage and being married in church was very important to my husband and my grandmother, at the time I would have married him anywhere but now I am very glad we did it in church.

I don't think living together would have kept us together so long as we had big problems trying for children it was at one point the only thing holding us together after we gave that up we became close again and have remained so ever since but that time I think we could both have walked away if we hadn't had that piece of paper.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We didn't live together before marriage and being married in church was very important to my husband and my grandmother, at the time I would have married him anywhere but now I am very glad we did it in church.

I don't think living together would have kept us together so long as we had big problems trying for children it was at one point the only thing holding us together after we gave that up we became close again and have remained so ever since but that time I think we could both have walked away if we hadn't had that piece of paper.
we let paper control our lives?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
we let paper control our lives?
That's the bit I don't understand - it almost makes the marriage certificate have the same power as a speeding ticket or parking fine. If people genuinely care about each other and want to spend the rest of their lives with one another, they'll do that regardless of whether a piece of paper has been signed. State acknowledged marriage offers legal protection and nothing more.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
That's the bit I don't understand - it almost makes the marriage certificate have the same power as a speeding ticket or parking fine. If people genuinely care about each other and want to spend the rest of their lives with one another, they'll do that regardless of whether a piece of paper has been signed. State acknowledged marriage offers legal protection and nothing more.
not even that these days 12mths together there is a legal bond 50-50 [well in OZ] be we iz civilized!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Just because someone has problems at a point in their life doesn't mean they don't deeply love the other person and still want to grow old together. Our problem was fertility and a dead newborn sort of tested us as people rather heavily. If I had been with someone else I could have had children if he had he too could have had children together we couldn't. We needed time to get our heads round that one and decide which was more important to us, we knew we wanted to be together we just needed time to realise that.

The piece of paper gave us that the idea of a divorce was horrific to us as we needed each other but we could have just drifted away from each other without our vows and that piece of paper.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Agreed - as said before - vows are important if 'meant'. Sometimes I wonder if couples today 'do' realise, from what I've seen its an opportunity to wear 'that' dress, slap the cake in the Husbands face, and just have a larf !
No wonder they dont last ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

31-05-2013, 04:11 PM

Always worries me when people talk only about the wedding - no plans for the marriage just the big party. Also the cost if you really can afford it OK but put yourself into debt for one day is crazy and not a good start to the marriage at all.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top