Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 08:48 AM

This Year's Veg.

Part of my veggie plot. From the foreground we have sprouts, savoys, self-set potatoes, caulis and summer cabbage, broad beans behind which are onions, runner beans and finally more potatoes from bought seed potatoes. In spite of all the vagaries of the weather, this year looks like the best year I've had for a long time.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Re: This Year's Veg.

A stunning plot Alan, and an absolute credit to you. I gave up on brassicas years ago because of the caterpillar damage, how do you prevent that? Some of our spuds were unearthed by a fox burying something the other night and they were around gobstopper sized, so I thought that I'd give them another couple of weeks before I had a boiling.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Wow, a veg plot to die for! Well done.
Showed hubby the picture - he is talking of digging up some lawn, no way am I doing that, too much work for me now
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Hi Barry, I must admit that I use sprays on my fruit and veg. There are things that I've stopped growing such as peas (cheap and nice are the frozen ones), beetroot (for 3 years on the trot something was eating them as soon as I planted them out) and lettuce (the birds ate more than we did).I confine myself to crops that I've been successful with over the years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Alan that is magnificent I can imagine how much hard work went into getting your garden to look like that .

I won't use any sprays or even slug pellets so doubt I could achieve such a result particularly with brassicas.

One brassica I did have great success with was winter purple sprouting broccoli . I guess because there were no cabbage whites in the autumn when I planted it and I had eaten the plant before the butterflies appeared again the next year

I don't bother growing it now, it has become grown prolifically around here and readily available in the shops.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Terrific veg plot Alan. Well done. I love to look at a nice veg plot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top