Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 10:23 AM

On your marks, get set, go !

Tomatoes and leek plants through and growing well and I've just sown cabbage, cauli, sprouts and broad beans in my greenhouse.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Re: On your marks, get set, go !

Well done Alan

My garlic is looking good and about 6'' high so off to a good start..
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 11:50 AM

My toms are through as well, but they are growing on in the house at the moment, much too cold yet in the greenhouse which was down to minus 7deg. last night.

All to look forward to now in the garden though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 03:50 PM

Alan & Barry ~ How do you stop your tomato seedling from bolting indoors?
I have just thrown mine away and am starting again.
I'm sure the problem is lighting. I can't get an even all over light over them indoors and they grow long and spindly and lean towards the light even though I keep turning the trays.
I've just thrown 100 Cosmos seedlings away for the same reason, they wee too spindly and weak to stand up even. It's so annoying.

Meg ~ When do you hope to harvest your garlic? I have tried it this year for the first time and so am still learning.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Hi Mups, after the seeds have germinated I keep them on the windowsill during daylight hours but take them away at night. They do grow a bit spindly but when I come to put them in individual pots I set them deep and from then on they're OK. By the way, don't keep turning them around that will make them grow even longer. This works for me but you'll have to see what Barry says.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Mups, after the seeds have germinated I keep them on the windowsill during daylight hours but take them away at night. They do grow a bit spindly but when I come to put them in individual pots I set them deep and from then on they're OK. By the way, don't keep turning them around that will make them grow even longer. This works for me but you'll have to see what Barry says.

Yes, it does still get cold on the window sills at night doesn't it Alan. Are your seedlings in a room that you are using or in a spare room?
I ask this because in a room that is in use, you no doubt have the electric lights on once the evening comes, but in an unlit spare room they would probably have many more hours of darkness? Could you hazard a guess at approximately how many hours of darkness your seedlings have please? Also, do you use a propagator?
(sorry for all the questions).
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

07-03-2016, 04:35 PM

That's fine Mups, glad to be of some help. Hours of darkness? About 11 hours this time of the year. I start them off in a spare bedroom, no propagator. I have now moved them into an unheated utility room which I do every year and they're always OK. Tomatoes will stand a bit of cold.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Meg ~ When do you hope to harvest your garlic? I have tried it this year for the first time and so am still learning.
Hi Mups the variety I grow 'Provence Wight' is a soft necked variety that is planted in the Autumn and overwinters in the ground which gets it off to a good start.

I usually start eating the odd bulb from the end of June and harvest it in July/ August when it is lifted then hung in bunches to dry on the washing line before it goes into the dry garage.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-03-2016, 04:40 PM

That's fine Mups, glad to be of some help. Hours of darkness? About 11 hours this time of the year. I start them off in a spare bedroom, no propagator. I have now moved them into an unheated utility room which I do every year and they're always OK. Tomatoes will stand a bit of cold.

Thanks Alan. Maybe I forced mine on too quick in the propagator, pity. I've just got some more seed so will start over again and be more patient.
I believe I can 'bury' the cosmos' stems when pricking out too, same as the tomatoe. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hasty chucking them out!

I haven't got a spare inch on my window sllls. I have over wintered Pelagoniums there, plus a couple of Aloe plants, and Christmas cactus and other houseplants!
One kitchen work top has an overspill of Amaryllis, daffs, and hyacinths too. So having all these new seedlings as well now, is quite a problem. Let's hope it turns a bit warmer soon.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 05:26 PM

Tomatoes and leek plants through and growing well and I've just sown cabbage, cauli, sprouts and broad beans in my greenhouse.
It must be nice to have a greenhouse. I don't. My bonsai haven't yet got moving except for the cherry plum which is showing very serious interest in budding full out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top