Join for free
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Re: Greta Thunberg

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A personal view.

She has a point, we are not doing well for our Kids and Grandkids.

We could do better and we should.

She has been hijacked by the nutters.

We cannot change things overnight.
Nor is she mate with her carbon footprint.......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A personal view.

She has a point, we are not doing well for our Kids and Grandkids.

We could do better and we should.

She has been hijacked by the nutters.

We cannot change things overnight.
With all due respect Swimmy, they've never had it so good, driving around in cars, swanning off to university to learn how to party, and then taking 'Gap Years' to wander round the world while they sponge off the bank of Mum and Dad.....Why do you think that they've had so much time on their hands to make nuisances of themselves down in the smoke....
I can imagine what my Dad would have said if I'd have left my two quid a week job as an apprentice to do the same.... and I can't print it on here!
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
With all due respect Swimmy, they've never had it so good, driving around in cars, swanning off to university to learn how to party, and then taking 'Gap Years' to wander round the world while they sponge off the bank of Mum and Dad.....Why do you think that they've had so much time on their hands to make nuisances of themselves down in the smoke....
I can imagine what my Dad would have said if I'd have left my two quid a week job as an apprentice to do the same.... and I can't print it on here!
Young people, nowadays, eh?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 09:47 AM

I don't think life is like that for most uni students these days OGF. Maybe twenty years ago.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think life is like that for most uni students these days OGF. Maybe twenty years ago.
Did they all go to uni 20yrs agol
Or was it still just the rich kids then?
No wonder they feel they are so entitled!
They think they are rich!

Regards Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Is anyone like me, getting really brassed off with the BBC headlining stuff like this on their news page. Almost every day we are faced with a doom and gloom scenario.

That's fine BBC, but just what exactly are you suggesting we do about it?
We are very much aware how the expansion of human population is having a negative effect on the planet, and pushing species into extinction, but how do you plan to cull the human species - which is the only way to reverse the damage - A few have tried in the past and have not been very popular.......So come on David Attenborough, Chris Packham and the BBC...Where do we go from here? Because at the moment you are just stating the bleeding obvious!

Nature crisis: Humans 'threaten 1m species with extinction'

By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent, Paris
9 hours ago

Pollination is vital for food production
On land, in the seas, in the sky, the devastating impact of humans on nature is laid bare in a compelling UN report.

One million animal and plant species are now threatened with extinction.

Nature everywhere is declining at a speed never previously seen and our need for ever more food and energy are the main drivers.

These trends can be halted, the study says, but it will take "transformative change" in every aspect of how humans interact with nature.

Five things we've learned from nature crisis study
Nature's emergency in five graphics
The teens saving Madagascar's wildlife
What would a world without humans be like?
From the bees that pollinate our crops, to the forests that hold back flood waters, the report reveals how humans are ravaging the very ecosystems that support their societies.

Three years in the making, this global assessment of nature draws on 15,000 reference materials, and has been compiled by the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES). It runs to 1,800 pages.

The brief, 40-page "summary for policymakers", published today at a meeting in Paris, is perhaps the most powerful indictment of how humans have treated their only home.

It says that while the Earth has always suffered from the actions of humans through history, over the past 50 years, these scratches have become deep scars.

The world's population has doubled since 1970, the global economy has grown four-fold, while international trade has increased 10 times over.

To feed, clothe and give energy to this burgeoning world, forests have been cleared at astonishing rates, especially in tropical areas.

Between 1980 and 2000, 100 million hectares of tropical forest were lost, mainly from cattle ranching in South America and palm oil plantations in South East Asia.

Faring worse than forests are wetlands, with only 13% of those present in 1700 still in existence in the year 2000.

Our cities have expanded rapidly, with urban areas doubling since 1992.

Media caption"Species are going extinct at a faster rate than we've seen for millions of years" - Laura Foster reports
All this human activity is killing species in greater numbers than ever before.

According to the global assessment, an average of around 25% of animals and plants are now threatened.

Global trends in insect populations are not known but rapid declines in some locations have also been well documented.

All this suggests around a million species now face extinction within decades, a rate of destruction tens to hundreds of times higher than the average over the past 10 million years.

"We have documented a really unprecedented decline in biodiversity and nature, this is completely different than anything we've seen in human history in terms of the rate of decline and the scale of the threat," said Dr Kate Brauman, from the University of Minnesota and a co-ordinating lead author of the assessment.

fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:35 PM

All remainers and Mp's against a wall would be a good start OGF.
Sounds like a fair cull to me.......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
All remainers and Mp's against a wall would be a good start OGF.
Sounds like a fair cull to me.......
Sounds like a plan Fender......
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

06-05-2019, 09:22 PM

Sounds like a plan Fender......
....Along with eco warriors, then they can be seen to be doing their bit as well........
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Perhaps our celebrity chefs could work on making up
some delicious recipes using human flesh, this could
solve two problems in one shot,
Over population
Food supplies in the postulated future!
And l am sure the elites in Davos could find a way to
make some money from it!

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top