Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Re: New cabinet!

I would say that the worst things about Oxbridge, billionaires and all the chummy-monies is that it is all one big secret or not so secret society of people rubbing the backs of others to keep all the money sloshing to certain places. It's all about who you know after all.

So you can defend that culture if you think that's a good way for things to be but most of the time people here are knocking it. It's rather ironic to defend it just because it suits the current mindset. When it was the Cameron/Osbourne clique being mocked it was ok though to talk about self-serving billionaires and etonians etc. Interesting how things change!
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not a very nice post, quite aggressive in fact.

Firstly, personal envy.

My brother and I have 4 kids, non went to Private School and 3 out of the 4 went to Oxbridge.

So you got that wrong.

There is a world of difference between the privately educated who have rich parents, then go to OXbridge with huge allowances and become members of invitation only clubs and those who get there from local schools on merit and who have to get part time jobs to fund their way

They have never not have private medical insurance, never had to wait for an NHS appointment.

Never had to watch the money.

They simply have no idea.through,
I think you may be reading too much into the meaning of my use of the words personal envy since I meant it in a a general sense, "people's personal envy". As for being aggressive, it is an opinion not a personal insult, take it as such and don't be so touchy.

To address the subject, having money isn't a bar to empathy or sympathy. Many wealthy people, both old money and new money have experience of life in the commercial and and industrial sectors. Some wealthy people use their money to help others.

To many people talk about wealth as though it were a panacea of all ills but there are many difficulties in life which are not countered by hard cash.
You make far to many assumptions in your post about things you can never be sure about and attempt to pass them off as fact.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It makes good sense to me for the PM to surround himself with like minded people who are team players....why wouldn't you do that?
I agree Summer and when we consider the disloyalty, briefing behind her back and failure to carry out previously agreed cabinet decision that faced Theresa May if I was Johnson I would make sure I had a carefully chosen Cabinet I felt I could trust .
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I would say that the worst things about Oxbridge, billionaires and all the chummy-monies is that it is all one big secret or not so secret society of people rubbing the backs of others to keep all the money sloshing to certain places. It's all about who you know after all.

So you can defend that culture if you think that's a good way for things to be but most of the time people here are knocking it. It's rather ironic to defend it just because it suits the current mindset. When it was the Cameron/Osbourne clique being mocked it was ok though to talk about self-serving billionaires and etonians etc. Interesting how things change!
I,ve never thought an differently about wealth and I've known a few wealthy people. If they've got it good luck to them it doesn't make any difference to the the way I feel about them. There are good and bad in every group of people, if they have wealth it doesn't make them bad people. There are enough wealthy labour MPs And Voters.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:41 AM

It's called networking. It's fine.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's called networking. It's fine.
Helps some get £15k holidays paid for for sure!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 03:14 PM

Helps some get £15k holidays paid for for sure!
Where's the problem?

No, seriously, where's the problem? Such things often come as perques (not perks of a job.

It was bad enough when such benefits became taxable, the amount of sleight of hand needed to evade being taxed was amazing though though usually well worth while but keep in mind that there really no such thing as a free lunch and such things had to be worth more to the provider than the cost.

There's a nasty smell of envy often surrounding wails about the unfairness where some get but more don't.

There shouldn't be. Such perques always have to be earned and invariably will appear on a ballance sheet somewhere.

So here's a question Annie. What is your opinion of a on time on budget contract completion bonus of US$2,000,000?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-02-2020, 03:23 PM

What is the context of the $2m?

Anyone with money can buy favour. That's the problem. This is the way things work in the world but it should not be how they work with someone who is in power.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

15-02-2020, 04:01 PM

What is the context of the $2m?

Anyone with money can buy favour. That's the problem. This is the way things work in the world but it should not be how they work with someone who is in power.
If there is a buyer and a seller then where's the problem.

As for the US $2,000,000, I just wondered about your thoughts of someone trousering a not insignificant amount for what might be construed as just doing their job?

Too much for one person? Wrong in principle? Should have been taken off the contract price? Just askin'.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
What exactly, other than personal envy, is wrong with being educated at Oxbridge. Isn't it what we would all aspire to for our children.
Also there are plenty of routes for the poor to get there these days.

The reason for this reshuffle is because Boris want's the government (as he said today) to focus on delivering their promises. The saying goes the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton. In my view the battles of science and technology will be won at Oxbridge.
Nothing wrong rainmaker, IF you actually EARNT your place?
The same goes for the MAKING of money as opposed to
actually EARNING oodles of money??
It seems the concept of EARNING has changed somewhat?
Donkeyman!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top