Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 05:25 PM

What a great idea: Free outdoor gyms!

I hope more councils start doing these - great for people who just want to have a go without being in a closed environment full of people watching them.

Getting fit is one of the nation's most popular New Year's resolutions, but joining a gym can often be expensive.

Recently a number of outdoor gyms have opened across the country where you do not have to pay to use the equipment.
Watch the vid here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8438971.stm
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Re: What a great idea: Free outdoor gyms!

I saw that that article on the lunchtime news today and I think it's great

I think I would prefer to 'have a go' in a park rather than go to a gym. It looks great fun (and maybe hard work), also you are getting fresh air at the same time. I hope the idea catches on.

There are obvious set backs though, as was mentioned, there would be no-one supervising in case of accidents, strains etc.

Also there is the worry of vandalism from today's youth ....... maybe that could be overcome by having the outdoor gym in a locked area...
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 06:26 PM

err ..... weather?

But a good idea, in general
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
err ..... weather?

But a good idea, in general
They look wrapped up warm to me!

I think it's more of a fun thing where you can exercise and enjoy yourself at the same time. Obviously you wouldn't take it that serious that you would want to go when it was pouring with rain!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 02:22 AM

I'd actually like to go on an exercise bike in the rain (so long as it wasn't too cold!) and I guess it beats air conditioning

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top