Join for free
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:33 PM

My hobby is beachcombing.

No, I don't like storms when wind and rain and cold descend on us, but like some of the results.

Huh, what can they be I hear you ask?. Well living on the coast, the Jurassic Coast to be precise, I like to be able to beachcomb and see what the rough sea's have brought in. Having done this for a couple of years now, I take with me a foldable plastic garden waste bag, secuters, small saw and sturdy shoes. We take the free bus to Chesil Cove, I leave my wife on a seat and descend the steps and explore.

Usually I am amazed how many odd shoes are washed up. Dead gulls, driftwood and as for plastic containers, wow, unbelievable. Lengths of netting are cut to a manageable size before I take them and never return empty handed.

You may be asking yourself "what does he do with all this rubbish?". The netting is used to drape over trellis and fence panels, driftwood is used also. I make garden mobiles with holed pebbles to keep them weighted down, shells, driftwood and small pieces of netting help to make them attractive. There's a shop in town that buys them from me and they sell to tourists. These are some I made earlier, in fact from our other house.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Re: My hobby is beachcombing.

You live in a lovely part of our country & I like what you do with what you find while beachcombing.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:44 PM

That is a very good way of recycling and making a few coppers in to the bargain Islandman. Very inventive.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:47 PM

You comb while others look for hidden treasure in the sands of our beaches. I am sure you are familar with the aparatus. Small poll with a small radar like disk at the end. Thing beeps if there is a strange object below the sand. Most of the time what is found is an ocassional lost ring. I guess its alll about the hunt and finding something
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Good for you Islandman. Incidentally I will be in Dorset in July for the Tolpuddle Festival.
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 01:02 PM

No, I don't have a detector, but do have a sea searcher. A powerfull magnet that can be used for a multitude of things, but so far, nothing of any consequence.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 01:20 PM

Great hobby and great ideas
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 01:23 PM

Colin you are lucky to be near the sea and the beach, I love beachcombing .

I always bring some choice pebbles and shells back with me from holiday to put in the garden.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top