Join for free
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 01:55 PM

Old buttons cut off old clothes.

Stored away, as you do, is my late mothers button tin. It is an old CWS tin, bronze in colour which may well have been a biscuit tin originally. In it are buttons which must be a hundred years old. I keep promising myself I will mount them on a board so we have them visual rather than leave them in the box.

Whilst writing this, I stopped and googled "old biscuit tins" and there were others we have too. One houses old photos, another nick-nacks. I really do intend doing something with them.........................another day.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Re: Old buttons cut off old clothes.

Whenever children would visit their Grannies, they would invariably be introduced to the 'button tin'. Kids would empty them all over the carpet, and make them up into groups and sets...

We are modern Grannies. We have a biscuit tin full of 'fridge magnets. Our young visitors absolutely love sorting them out and playing with them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 02:13 PM

I used to love looking through the button box I don't think people save them the same these days in this throwaway society.

I still have a box full, when babysitting the grandchildren I used to get them to thread them onto shoe laces to keep them busy
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Oh yes, when we were kids, my Mum used to have a big glass jar filled to the top with buttons, and us kids used to get them out and play with them and count them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 03:26 PM

I've got a large button tin with oodles of buttons in it, some very old like the ones from baby shoes and glass or mother of pearl ones. I like to buy bags of buttons in charity's shops or bootsale bargains.
I made some Christmas decorations by sticking small buttons onto wooden heart shapes and adding ribbons, then varnishing.
I could play with buttons for hours!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top