Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:04 AM

Books.

I am in such a mental dilemma about books.

Until two years ago, I had quite an extensive library. I was fortunate enough to have my own man-cave, and three walls were covered with seven foot high bookshelves. That was five shelves high, and thirtyfive feet wide. They were all grouped by subject, and I knew where every book was.

Never a week would go by without me adding a few more treasures, either from book clubs or the goldmines of charity shops. Every book had been read at least once, and if I had enjoyed it, then it would take its own place in my trove. I have had some of these books for thirty or forty years, and each and every one of them were my friends.

Sadly, as I am getting on a bit, I know that I have to cut down my collection. The local library accepted about a hundred, and a couple of charity shops took more. I am now down to a single ten-foot wide wall, and I know, deep in my heart, that most of them must go as well.

I just do not have the heart to put them into charity shops again; I used to work in one, and I know they have more books than they can sell. Many of my books, especially the history section, appeal to so few people. In my heart, I just know they will end up in a recycling bin somewhere.

… and no! I cannot be bothered putting them on eBay, selling them for ten pence each, and having the problems of packing and posting them out. I live out in the sticks of Wales, so buyers are reluctant to come and collect them.

Books are personal things, don’t you think?

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:18 AM

Re: Books.

Do you have any second hand book shops near you ? When my dad died we contacted our local shop and lovely man took them from us, didn't make money fir us but at least we felt he would find good homes for them as he could find buyers for less popular titles easier than we could.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:34 AM

We have a huge Bookbarn near us that buy and sell books, it's amazing! At least they have sections for different subjects so people know they can find what they're looking for (usually). They may have other branches around the country not sure but they are online.
I didn't know libraries accepted books! I'll take some in that are nearly new!
I don't like parting with them either, I don't mind the paperback fictions going somewhere else but, my bird books, craft and Dad's poetry books and the other non fiction stuff stay with me!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:35 AM

My books are like old friends I visit their pages again and again enjoying the tales they tell and the places they take me too.

Some I inherited from my dad and seeing his writing here and there in the coloum or scribbled on a back page brings him close.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 01:45 PM

Its a dilemma, i tend to read my books too destruction they are comfort blankets, i parted with quite a few to charity shops lately, i needed space but ive often regretted parting with them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 01:52 PM

I am slowly taking my books to my seniors club they make a few bucks and I decluttter.

I will keep some because I can't bear to part with them (especially reference books and workshop manuals - you never know when that 1969 Holden Kingswood HK manual will come in handy) but most will go
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 01:55 PM

I have all of Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey books, still. I have kept all my Thelwell books & a lot of horse books & other useful ones like Crossing Guide to Dartmoor, The Coming Of The Fairies & Snoopy/Peanuts books, plus others.
I have many books on collectables, Teddy bears, dolls & others.
I really should get rid of some, but I haven't. They are mainly in the book case in the living room & it's overflowing, with some in other rooms. I love books.
Any novel type books I read, go to the local charity shops, they are always pleased to get them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Another thought hospices sometimes want books they love jigsaw puzzles and board games too.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:45 PM

My library was quite selective with books that I took in, discarding quite a few.

I would struggle to part with the remainder of my collection.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Sadly, we don't have a Book Barn anywhere near to here, and the Old Folks Home almost certainly would turn me away (they would want nothing more complicated than Green Book 2, in Welsh).
'This is Dai, and this is Megan. Today, Dai and Megan are going on a picnic at the Eisteddfod. Write down Eisteddfod in your exercise books and underline it.'

Anybody out there who would like 30 books on StarTrek, the New Generation? Anybody like 25 books on Bridge?
How about books on cats, or adult quiz books? Nature books? Anatomy and Physiology?

Have a day out, bring the family, just come with an empty boot.

Everything must go.
Except on rows 7 to 10......
.... and those three up there.
...... Oh, and that one.

This is heart-breaking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top