Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Couch to 5K

Has anyone tried this running programme? I'm feeling far too couchy and am thinking of giving it a go.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Re: Couch to 5K

Running is one of the worse forms of excersice for, shall we say, the more mature person. It places too much stress on the joints, particularly the knees and the hips. That's one of the reasons I cycle, it is a NON-impact excersice.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2011, 08:42 PM

I agree with Rockrider - running is not very good on the joints. For me there is nothing like walking and it can be very pleasurable at the same time.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

22-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by RockriderSpain ->
Running is one of the worse forms of excersice for, shall we say, the more mature person. It places too much stress on the joints, particularly the knees and the hips. That's one of the reasons I cycle, it is a NON-impact excersice.

Unless of course running is something you have done for many , many years prior to becoming an old fart !

RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
Unless of course running is something you have done for many , many years prior to becoming an old fart !

I agree, ironically I'm just about to purchase a treadmill from a friend who has given up. I need something for the winter when I can't get out on the bike so much. Last time I was on one of these things was about 12 years ago, and my calf gave way and I ended up on my ass off the back of it.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Has anyone tried this running programme? I'm feeling far too couchy and am thinking of giving it a go.
If you do give running a go make sure you wear the correct shock absorbing footwear. Many runners have caused joint problems through not wearing correct footwear.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Only exercise I get is 'swinging' to and fro in my recliner armchair when I need to get up, other than that I'm relaxing in my chair most of the afternoon.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Well I've started it now and am loving it. Yes, got gait analysis and decent pair of shoes and the programme starts gently enough that it is not too hard on the joints. Will see how things progress, but have to say it does make me feel generally better.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Good luck with your progress orangutan. As long as you don't push yourself to improve faster than your body can adjust you should be fine. Keep enjoying the challenge you have set yourself.Who knows one day we may see you running the London marathon.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

06-08-2011, 04:01 PM

No way, Reuben! I have no great ambitions beyond maybe a half-marathon. And 5K may just be enough!
I'm taking it VERY gently, having not run for 20 years, and so far the joints are coping well but it's early days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top