Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 03:14 PM

General fitness deterioration!

I have just finished re decorating the kitchen and utility room. Just one coat ceilings and walls no glossing.

When I last did it six years ago, I could start at 8.30 and go right through to 5pm (9 hours) and still have enough left in my tank to clean the rollers and tray etc.

This time I could only manage about 6 hours each day and I was totally knackered! My wrists and arms ache, my legs ache, and my back!!!

I am "only" 52 and thought I would still be able to do this easilly. I am sure my father managed to be able to decorate right into his 60's before he needed to "get someone in"

Is this the start of a long decline in not being able to do things I always took for granted.

Even a four hour walk leaves me exhausted and shattered.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Re: General fitness deterioration!

I think it depends a lot on how much we use particular muscles.

I know the muscle called 'my brain' let's me down more & more now that I'm retired..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Mine too Nuttygran. I do think you lose some strength as you get older. It also takes longer to do some physical things, but the secret I think is not to stop doing stuff - keep on as long as you can - just give yourself a bit more time Elbee.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 07:04 PM

I was a big strong builder who could and would move mountains, day in, day out. Although I have kept relatively busy since retiring I sometimes feel as weak as a kitten comparatively. But like Aerolor said, all you can do is keep going as long as you can but allow more time, and above all stop beating yourself up about it! Being tired is just nature's way of telling you it's time for another cuppa....
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Yep have to agree, you have to tackle things when you feel like it, bang goes all the Monday washing etc.I seem to spend a lot of time dropping off these days!
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2011, 10:43 AM

I'm normally quite fit these days, probably a lot fitter than a lot of people my age (62+).
I normally cycle (off road) around 80km a week, walk probably around 10 miles a week, plus we have 3000m2 of orchard, grass etc to look after. Mowing the grass once a week is an all day job.

BUT this week I am knackered, but had 3 very late nights (2am) followed by early mornings, and the weather is so 'heavy' at the moment it's draining.

So early night today and back on the bike tomorrow.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

The point is I am only 52! And I was a big strong builder type too!

I agree, I allow more time to do each thing and as I am not working at the moment I have plenty of time.

I do just wonder if I have something wrong with me though.
A lot of people peg out around 60-65. If you get passed that it should be plain sailing to 80 and beyond!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Hi Elbee I have found I lack the stamina I used to have but I am 10 years older than you.

I do just wonder if I have something wrong with me though.
maybe have your blood checked to see if you are anemic
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2011, 11:36 PM

Ten years ago I could wallpaper and paint no problem at all. In April last year, I set to and re-painted my bedroom as it was desperate.

Sadly, my living room/dining area is very desperate but, with the best will in the world, I cannot tackle it any longer, especially the ceilings as I'm only 5ft tall, and I've nobody that can help me so they remain an embarrassment to me as I can't afford to pay to have them done.

I've re-papered this living room about six times whilst I've lived here and, even though the walls are just painted now, I can't even manage that anymore. My bedroom was a challenge and it took me two full weekends to complete, which was worth it in the end; but my get up and go has now got up and went.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie
but my get up and go has now got up and went.
Me too Mollie I used to love decorating and DIY and even built my own kitchen but I have no inclination to do it now and keep putting off decorating my bedroom . It is partly Azz's fault for starting all these forums

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top