Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Find The Owner

Left my car at Aldi whilst shopping.

A van driver is observed reversing into my car and then does a rapid exit.

A lady sees all this and leaves a note, on my windscreen, saying she saw it happen.

She says it was a van MJ61 KXR.

Is there a way I can find out who owns that van?

There were only only scratches but I'd like the driver to know that I know!

Or should I just give the details to the police/Insurance Company and let them follow it up?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Re: Find The Owner

If that was me I would first contact the police, they can find drivers' details. I believe it is an offence to leave the scene of an accident, where damage or injury has been caused, without leaving your details. Also contact your insurance company, explain the circumstances as you might have to make a claim, either on your own insurance if you have comprehensive cover or on the other driver's insurance when police find their details.

With modern car finishes just minor scratches can be expensive to have done, my own car was damaged in this way but no details left. That was in a police station's car park, I will say no more!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Or should I just give the details to the police/Insurance Company and let them follow it up?
Be wary about talking to your insurance company - even if you don't make a claim the report will be recorded as a "non-fault" incident and may affect premiums with your current and future companies.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car...rance-premium/

Will my car insurance increase after an accident?

Yes. Regardless of whose fault it was, making a claim will almost always lead to an increase in your car insurance premium. Luckily, a non-fault claim won’t affect it as much as an at-fault claim will.

Even if you don’t make a claim after an accident, you could still see an increase in your insurance premium. That’s because some insurance providers consider that drivers who’ve had an accident (even if it wasn’t their fault and they didn’t claim for it) are more likely to be involved in another accident later on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:26 PM

Hi Ted I would definitely contact the police who have access to a database of number plates.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 02:34 PM

I would tell the police so they can file it in the bin along with everything else.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Ted I would definitely contact the police who have access to a database of number plates.
I agree with Meg. Tell PC Plod, especially if you have the witness' details as well.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would tell the police so they can file it in the bin along with everything else.

Unless, of course, you suggest it was a racist or homophobic attack!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:40 PM

Thanks for your replies.

So far I've noted that it is illegal to pass on details (names) of those where we know the registration number of the vehicle.

I'm going to try that a different way.

As far as getting the insurance involved, as has been said, telling the insurance company and you become a claimer and that goes down on your records.
("it's not a no blames bonus, it's a No Claims bonus!")

Luckily, the damage is just a scratch, but it's annoying that the perp can get away so easily.

Like already stated - Who is on the side of the victims?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Like already stated - Who is on the side of the victims?
Not the courts, it seems!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Unless, of course, you suggest it was a racist or homophobic attack!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top