Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Re: Crunch week???

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Originally it was half of the brits who felt that way. From the covid lock down you can gather how long the general public is able to stay on the same track for any length of time. After 4 years of brexit discussions most brits either still didn't understand what it was about, or simply didn't care any longer.
Luckily for boris, any negative economic effects of brexit can be explained away by covid crisis. Most brits will never realise what they lost by brexit and blame the chinese for any economic downturn.
You seem to be ignoring history, how the UK economy boomed after the Brexit result and how our unemployment went down.

The EU on the other hand has stagnated, even with all the bailout billions a month still being pumped into the economies of the remaining 27.

Here's a quick reminder of how just a few countries in the EU have faired ...

Italy - threatening to leave the bloc and threatening to use its own currency, being fined for daring to bailout its hospitality industry.

France - the Gilet Jaunes riots and tanking economy, Macron refusing a referendum on EU membership because France would vote leave.

Spain - borderline recession still after nearly 10 years of bailout

Greece - only just come out of a Troika arrangement with the IMF, EU and ECB and is now shooting illegal immigrants coming from Turkey

Germany - borderline recession, and just over-ruled the ECJ and the ECB over the legality of its QE. The EU response is to retaliate and hit it's cash cow, it's biggest funder with huge fines as punishment because only the ECJ (now called the CJEU because it was misleading to the rest of Europe outside the EU) can be the ultimate legal entity.

etc ... you get the picture.

When it comes to trade agreements, it would help if the EU has something to offer other than decline, bankruptcy, recession and unemployment
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Access to UK fishing waters? OK, fine, but WE decide on an annual basis and current scientific data how many tons of fish can be caught by which countries in OUR WATERS. In other words, NO MORE DUTCH SUPER-TRAWLERS, for example, emptying our fishing grounds.

Level playing field? Now you really are having a laugh. How can you expect us to sign up to something that even the EU27 can't play nicely at because Germany is pulling all the strings?
Unless the UK doesn't want a trade deal, they have to satisfy barnier's demands. Don't worry, boris will find a way to back track and spinning a yarn to the british public. He is a real con artist.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
When it comes to trade agreements, it would help if the EU has something to offer other than decline, bankruptcy, recession and unemployment
Remind me why half of the UK import comes from trade with the EU?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 03:16 PM

Remind me why half of the UK import comes from trade with the EU?
Why ? Don't you know that either ?

Like I said, you still don't understand why we voted to leave - you just proved it

But, I guess if you can't stay on the subject because you keep losing very argument, it's not surprising you are going off topic again. It's what losers do, and thats because you're a loser
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Boy, is you behind the times. These talks were declared obsolete by the EU in 2019, after in 2016 they stocked on things like chlorinated chickens and hormone pumped up beef.
Why do you think trump wants access to the UK market?
We drink chlorinated water all the time and it doesn't do us any harm. Besides, the chlorine wash is used on only about 2% of all the chicken flesh produced in the US according to the current US Ambassador.

Anyway, I suspect only Macky D, KFC, etc would be the only large scale purchasers of these meats so, it's up to the general public if they want to eat the rubbish these companies sell.

Having travelled fairly extensively in the US, and eaten in many establishments including fast food joints, I can say that, IMHO, US raised meats are pretty tasteless in any case. Give me a decent Argentinian or Brazilian steak any day of the week.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-05-2020, 03:31 PM

We drink chlorinated water all the time and it doesn't do us any harm. Besides, the chlorine wash is used on only about 2% of all the chicken flesh produced in the US according to the current US Ambassador.

Anyway, I suspect only Macky D, KFC, etc would be the only large scale purchasers of these meats so, it's up to the general public if they want to eat the rubbish these companies sell.

Having travelled fairly extensively in the US, and eaten in many establishments including fast food joints, I can say that, IMHO, US raised meats are pretty tasteless in any case. Give me a decent Argentinian or Brazilian steak any day of the week.

The consumer can decide what they want to eat if its labelled correctly. In the EU I don't think you are allowed to include the method of processing on food labels which is also one of the reasons "cheaper products from outside the EU which are perfectly healthy to eat and accepted by the EU Food and Safety Authority" are unable to be imported.

You gotta love those single market rules.... preventing poor people from having an affordable, healthy diet, which is commonplace in the largest economy in the world. The EU think its to do with how the chickens are reared, but that's BS because they import enough chicken from the far eastern countries like Vietnam .... go there, see how chickens are raised.
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 03:39 PM

The consumer can decide what they want to eat if its labelled correctly. In the EU I don't think you are allowed to include the method of processing on food labels which is also one of the reasons "cheaper products from outside the EU which are perfectly healthy to eat and accepted by the EU Food and Safety Authority" are unable to be imported.

You gotta love those single market rules.... preventing poor people from having an affordable, healthy diet, which is commonplace in the largest economy in the world. The EU think its to do with how the chickens are reared, but that's BS because they import enough chicken from the far eastern countries like Vietnam .... go there, see how chickens are raised.
I agree 100% with your 1st paragraph and I wonder how a certain person will twist your words to mean something else completely.

As far as Vietnam goes, no need to go there, I've seen how chickens are raised in Malaysia and that was bad enough ta very much. Put me right off my chicken satay for days that did.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-05-2020, 03:40 PM

Not how they are raised, that's a matter of animal welfare. The hygeinic conditions during slaughtering is what necessitates chlorine wash of usa chicken meat. Those slaughtering conditions in thailand and other oriental countries are such that chlorine washing is no longer required. This improvement was realised by EU import rules, by the way.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-05-2020, 03:51 PM

I agree 100% with your 1st paragraph and I wonder how a certain person will twist your words to mean something else completely.

As far as Vietnam goes, no need to go there, I've seen how chickens are raised in Malaysia and that was bad enough ta very much. Put me right off my chicken satay for days that did.
You don't have to go that far. Lincolnshire can do the same for you. From a 2019 newspaper.

One of the UK’s biggest chicken producers has been keeping chickens in cramped conditions on three farms in Lincolnshire, including in enormous “double-decker” multi-storey buildings, where secretly filmed footage shows chickens that are lame, struggling to breathe and surrounded by dead birds.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1910.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	12582  
Percy Vere

11-05-2020, 03:54 PM

You don't have to go that far. Lincolnshire can do the same for you. From a 2019 newspaper.

One of the UK’s biggest chicken producers has been keeping chickens in cramped conditions on three farms in Lincolnshire, including in enormous “double-decker” multi-storey buildings, where secretly filmed footage shows chickens that are lame, struggling to breathe and surrounded by dead birds.
Which newspaper?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top