Join for free
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 11:50 AM

New UK Post Brexit Tarrifs

New UK import tarrifs announced by Liz Truss.

Well, fancy that

https://news.sky.com/story/food-and-...-says-11990763
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:15 PM

Re: New UK Post Brexit Tarrifs

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Well, fancy that

There must be some mistake - The Remainers pointed out how everything would go up post Brexit?

Surely, we who didn't know what we were voting for cannot be right?

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There must be some mistake - The Remainers pointed out how everything would go up post Brexit?

I know, Ted
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Well, fancy that

Quote from your link: It had been expected last year that the UK would scrap tariffs on up to 90% of goods, but the plans appear to have been watered down.

Watered down? And why has this happened, since it is not to the benefit of consumers? Why withhold so much benefit from your consumers?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 01:16 PM

Zero tariffs will apply on:

Dishwashers (down
from 2.7%)
Freezers (down from 2.5%)
Sanitary products and tampons (down from 6.3%)
Paints (down from 6.5%) and screwdrivers (down from 2.7%)
Mirrors (down from 4%)
Scissors and garden shears (down from 4.7%)
Padlocks (down from 2.7%)
Cooking products such as baking powder (down from 6.1%), yeast (down from 12%), bay leaves (down from 7%), ground thyme (down from 8.5%) and cocoa powder (down from 8%)
Christmas trees (down from 2.5%)

I wonder how many british consumers buy these items every year? How many have a garden? Why not reduce tarifs on products that are consumed on a daily basis, and by less priveliged.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Yes, very surprising that we didn't understand, or even know, what we were voting for. Crazy isn't it?

However, with the tariffs as listed, just how much of these "savings" will actually be passed on to the consumer? I know I can be an old cynic at times but I suspect that very little will.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Yes, very surprising that we didn't understand, or even know, what we were voting for. Crazy isn't it?

However, with the tariffs as listed, just how much of these "savings" will actually be passed on to the consumer? I know I can be an old cynic at times but I suspect that very little will.
You could bring the present move by the government under another title:
UK to reverse plans to slash import tariffs after Brexit

The government is preparing to reverse plans put forward last year to cut import tariffs on most goods coming to the UK under proposals for post-Brexit trade agreements.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top